Montrail I.C.E. 9

I bought these boots to be my only boot for ice, mountaineering.

Materials: hybrid design, with Primaloft, kevlar, and Gore-Tex
Use: mountaineering, ice climbing
Break-in Period: none

I bought these boots to be my only boot for ice, mountaineering. So far so good. They are very comfortable with a good heel hold and large toe box. I plan to get new laces that stay tighter longer so I don't have to tighten them when I have crampons and gaiters on.

They are light and comfortable enough to wear on approaches. They have been warm for all glacier and snowshoeing work I've thrown at them. They worked well in Nepal for some friends of friends.

The Ice 9 crampons that were recalled were not well thought out. Montrail replaced them and my Grivel 12 New-matics fit great, are secure, and adjust easily. I will get the underfoot nubs ground off. I also did not buy the gaitors- - cute but not necessary.

Overall, I am pleased with the boot, and with Montrail's service in general.

rated 3.00 of 5 stars All I.C.E. 9 versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 7 reviews for other versions of the I.C.E. 9. Read all reviews »

Free Shipping. Montrail Women's I.C.E. 9 Boot (Fall 2006) There is always the leather vs. plastic debate among alpine climbers, now there's the I.C.E. 9 by Montrail. Welcome to the best of both worlds. The insulated upper is made with Stretch Schoeller Keprotec and polyurethane laminated leather. Weight: 1 lb 11 oz/0.78 kg Support Extra-cushioned upper cuff Tongue designed for cramponing comfort Y-Bar heel lock device for custom heel hold Dual-compound sole Fit Insulation conforms quickly to foot shape Roomy toe box prevents toe banging on ice Flexible ankle for French technique Design 400 g PrimaLoft insulation Stretch Schoeller Keprotech tongue and gusset Sticky rand and heel cup Four-layer carbon fiber lasting board Crampon-compatible Animal Fast and light Cold-weather ice climbing Technical expeditions Endless front pointing Volcano climbing Mixed mastery

Designed for alpine climbing and extended mountaineering in temperatures as cold as -30C, the I.C.E. 9 delivers more insulated warmth than any other Montrail boot. It's also taller and more supportive, making it an exceptional boot for mixed climbs on any of the towering low-angle volcanoes along the Pacific Rim's Ring of Fire. Unlike traditional climbing boots that often use one rubber compound throughout the outsole, the I.C.E. 9 features an exclusive dual-compound Vibram outsole with a high-durometer Mont compound around the perimeter for superb edging and a soft Super Trek compound in the forefoot for smearing on rock. If you had to own one boot for glaciers, scrambles, vertical ice or anything mixed, the I.C.E. 9 is the easiest choice to warm up to.

- Altrec Outdoors

The Montrail I.C.E. 9 is designed for alpine climbing in colder temperatures (-30 C and above), and longer technical ice or mixed routes. It is heavily insulated, has a stiffer flex than their Olympus or Lotus GTX, and is taller and more supportive. I.C.E. technology makes this boot very versatile and excels at low-angle climbs such as volcanoes; at technical approaches involving glaciers and scrambling; and at vertical ice and mixed climbs.

- ClimbingGear

Montrail Women's I.C.E. 9

The Women's I.C.E. 9 has been discontinued.

The Montrail Women's I.C.E. 9 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 19, 2008 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.