Montrail I.C.E. 9

I bought these boots to be my only boot for ice, mountaineering.

Materials: hybrid design, with Primaloft, kevlar, and Gore-Tex
Use: mountaineering, ice climbing
Break-in Period: none

I bought these boots to be my only boot for ice, mountaineering. So far so good. They are very comfortable with a good heel hold and large toe box. I plan to get new laces that stay tighter longer so I don't have to tighten them when I have crampons and gaiters on.

They are light and comfortable enough to wear on approaches. They have been warm for all glacier and snowshoeing work I've thrown at them. They worked well in Nepal for some friends of friends.

The Ice 9 crampons that were recalled were not well thought out. Montrail replaced them and my Grivel 12 New-matics fit great, are secure, and adjust easily. I will get the underfoot nubs ground off. I also did not buy the gaitors- - cute but not necessary.

Overall, I am pleased with the boot, and with Montrail's service in general.

rated 3.00 of 5 stars All I.C.E. 9 versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 7 reviews for other versions of the I.C.E. 9. Read all reviews »

Montrail Women's I.C.E. 9

The Women's I.C.E. 9 has been discontinued.

The Montrail Women's I.C.E. 9 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 19, 2008 at Moosejaw.

If you're looking for a new mountaineering boot, check out the best reviewed current models.