Montrail Moraine AT

I bought these at REI prior to my first lengthy backpacking…

Use: mainly multiweek trips
Break-in Period: few weeks
Weight: not sure, but they are pretty heavy
Price Paid: about $200

I bought these at REI prior to my first lengthy backpacking trip (14 days in the Colorado Rockies). I "broke them in" by wearing them when I walked my dogs for a few weeks beforehand, but that was it. They ended up working out amazingly well on the trip and I never had a single blister over two weeks while my friends (including someone wearing La Sportiva Makalus) were forced to use mole skin. I was very impressed.

I have used them a few times since (once for a week in Canyonlands, Utah, and for a week on Annapurna, Nepal) and they have still never let me down. Overall, these have proved to be tried and true favorites. I highly recommend them.

I agree with other reviewers that it takes a long…

Break-in Period: 15-20 miles

I agree with other reviewers that it takes a long time to break in these boots. During the break in, I laced these boots while wearing strips of mole skin on my heels to prevent blisters. After a few years, and Superfeet I no longer wear moleskin.

These are tough, durable boots, and the long break in can be expected. I have used a powerwasher for years to clean these boots. With a heavy pack, these boots provide good support.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Moraine AT versions

In addition to the 2 men's reviews above, there are 14 reviews for other versions of the Moraine AT. Read all reviews »

Montrail Moraine ATFeatures:The Moraine is designed with a new tongue and collar design that allows the upper to flex forward easily at the ankle for comfortable hiking on moderate terrain, while retaining all the support for steep and technical terrain. The Moraine is crampon-compatible and uses the toughest leather available to perform optimally on treks that take you along steep trails and across snow and ice. Leather heel linerThe aggressively lugged outsole has a heel ledge designed to accept the heel clamp of flexible and nu-matic crampons. The hinging upper allows easy flexing at the ankle for comfortable walking. The leather heel liner provides a smooth heel pocket and reduces heel slippage. 3-D Tongue Folded Gusset Vibram IntegraFit Last Hinging Upper High Traction Outsoles Tuned Flex Moraine Sole Platform Crampon compatible 2 lb 6 oz./ 1,07 kg

- US Outdoor Store

For epic trips on rough terrain with full loads. Water-resistant, one-piece full-grain leather upper has moisture-wicking Cambrelle lining for excellent protection, support and breathability. Comfortable, anatomically-shaped fit with bio-mechanically correct flex points and firm, friction-reducing heel. Vibram

- Sierra Trading Post

Montrail Men's Moraine AT

The Men's Moraine AT has been discontinued.

The Montrail Men's Moraine AT is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen sometime before 2006 at US Outdoor Store.