Montrail Susitna II XCR

This is a great shoe for trail running in the rain…

Materials: Gore-tex
Use: foul weather trail runs
Break-in Period: minimal
Price Paid: standard

This is a great shoe for trail running in the rain and mud, especially in the cooler weather of fall and winter. The Gore-Tex works very well keeping your toes warm and dry.

I have a pair of Mt.Mist Montrails (I love the Hardrock for dry weather), but the Mt.Mist's are too clunky - the Gore-tex adds a lot of weight. The Susitna IIs are much lighter and feel like a running shoe (as they should).

Some people in other reviews I've read complain that the nubs on the anterior sole come off with use but I've not had that problem. Admittedly, these are my foul-weather-only shoes and I only use them on trails; I'm not sure how well the sole would hold up with lots of dry or road running.

My only complaint is that they fit so well/tightly that they will not take a Superfeet Green well as the Superfeet elevate the heel too much and take it out of the pocket so there is too much slip. They also don't have quite the protection plate of the Hardrock, but I guess there is a weight trade-off: Gore-tex for less underfoot protection.

Very nice shoes. I wanted to love these but I bought…

Materials: Gore-tex, victory
Use: running, walking, dancing
Break-in Period: 2 days
Weight: 1 lb 14 oz?

Very nice shoes. I wanted to love these but I bought a half size too big. The fit around my ankle and midfoot was perfect, but the toe was too long. The lacing system is awesome, the green "wheels" allow you to tighten the shoe from top to bottom. I'm not sure it's a better system than good old fat laces, but it seemed to work when tied right. I loved the front of the shoe, very sleek and it seemed water tight.

I took these on a run though and they were also very stiff, felt like running in a hiking boot. That could because of the larger size, but I just couldn't bring myself to keep them. That being said...I love backcountry.com, their return policy is excellent and their staff is wonderful. I just don't think I'd buy shoes mail-order again.

Trail running in the Susitna II XCR from Montrail is like having breathable hard shells for your feet. Gore-Tex XCR provides the weather protection, while the foot box and body employ torsional and pronation control to help correct your stride.

- Mountain Gear

Montrail Susitna II XCRFeatures:GORE-TEXIntegraFitTerraFlexUpper Material : Gore-Tex Dry ShellOutsole Compound : Gryptonite GTMidsole : Multi-density EVAAnimalFoul weather running, training, hiking, walking All-weather trail running, ultrarunning Thru-hiking, fast packing, backpacking Approach Stylin'ComfortIntegraFit® last for arch and ankle support Medium and low volume fit Moderate toe box DryShell™ construction with GORE-TEX® XCR sheds from the outside Clean upper pattern for max breathability Gryptonite™ GT rubber and sharp PU lugs Lightest-weight waterproof trail shoePerformanceTrail-stable, road-worthy Four-density midsole Low-density heel strike wedge, angled to lateral side Forefoot gel pad Underfoot protection Torsional control Pronation control Flexible forefoot

- US Outdoor Store

The Montrail Men's Susitna XCR is the shoe of choice for all-season runners who need breathability for autumn's dusty trails and superior protection from spring's excess water weight. Rather than placing a waterproof bootie inside the shoe to keep the foot dry, Montrail wrapped the Susitna in a Gore-Tex XCR shell to repel water from the outside. No matter how much time you spend in the wettest of conditions, DryShell keeps shoes from gaining water weight and provides one of the highest levels of breathability ever achieved in waterproof footwear. The minimalist upper design is pure function as light as possible, waterproof and breathable. The sole combines four types of foam densities and a molded plate to dial in an optimal ride that is smooth on the road and stable on trails.

- Backcountry Outlet

The Montrail Mens Susitna XCR is the shoe of choice for all-season runners who need breathability for autumns dusty trails and superior protection from springs excess water weight.

Free Shipping. Montrail Men's Susitna II XCR Shoe (Fall 2006) Specifications of the Susitna II XCR by Montrail Weight 12 oz./0.34 kg Ride Trail-stable, road-worthy Four-density midsole Low-density heel strike wedge, angled to lateral side Forefoot gel pad Underfoot protection Torsional control Pronation control Flexible forefoot Fit IntegraFit last for arch and ankle support Medium and low volume fit Moderate toe box Design DryShell construction with GoreTex XCR sheds from the outside Clean upper pattern for max breathability Gryptonite GT rubber and sharp PU lugs Lightest-weight waterproof trail shoe Animal Foul weather running, training, hiking, walking All-weather trail running, ultra running Thru-hiking, fast packing, backpacking Approach Stylin'

Montrail Men's Susitna II XCR

The Men's Susitna II XCR has been discontinued.

The Montrail Men's Susitna II XCR is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.