Montrail Torre GTX Classic

I put these boots through quite a bit. Wore them nearly…

Materials: leather, gore-tex, vibram
Use: heavy hiking, farm work, everything else
Break-in Period: short
Weight: 3 lbs./pair

I put these boots through quite a bit. Wore them nearly everyday for about 18 months on three continents and in every condition of terrain and weather imaginable.

Throughout, these boots were acceptably comfortable and rarely gave me blisters. I also have wide feet, narrow heels, and high arches and the Torre's didn't have any inherent problems where these things are concerned.

The two gripes I do have stem form them losing their shape within two months. This eventually resulted in truly shocking ugliness, gradually deteriorating ankle and arch support, and generally sore feet.

Nevertheless, given the wear I put on these things, I still give 'em 4 stars.

Easy break-in period. Good fit. I found that the boot…

Easy break-in period. Good fit. I found that the boot runs hot and breathes less well than some others. The upper absorbs water and feet get wet despite the GTX.

This boot climbs Class III/IV well in dry conditions, but fails the low angle snow test. Decent long-range backpacking boot, but don't ask it to do anything else.

The Torres fit comfortably from the moment I first…

Break-in Period: none

The Torres fit comfortably from the moment I first put them on. They weren't stiff and need no breaking in whatsoever. They lace up a snug fit that doesn't seem constrictive. They are light and don't feel overly bulky. They dry quick and are the perfect boots for 3 season backpacking. I've had them 4 years now and I've never had a blister.

If you've owned or used a Montrail Men's Torre GTX Classic, please share your experience.

Montrail Men's Torre GTX Classic

The Men's Torre GTX Classic has been discontinued.

The Montrail Men's Torre GTX Classic is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 11, 2009 at RockCreek.