Montrail Torre GTX

Lightweight and breathable because of the Gore-tex…

Price Paid: Bought on sale under $100

Summary

Lightweight and breathable because of the Gore-tex materials, but extremely tough. I've taken these boots through every terrain and temperature. I've climbed up to volcanic glaciers, trekked through the rainforest, hiked through the outback and survived monsoons all in pretty easy comfort. They've only just started to show wear in four years after a construction project landed them sole-deep in concrete.

I'd say the Torre is a multitasked boot that can save packing space and weight. I use it as my rain boot, hiking boot, and snow boot too. I would recommend it for adventurers who plan on experiencing a lot of different activities or who aren't sure what they'll come across or do.

Pros

• Versatile
  • Sturdy construction

Cons

• Takes some adjusting
  • Kind of clunky
  • Inflexible around the ankles

The Torres fit pretty nicely although it took me some adjustment. The materials don't make for a very flexible fit, especially around the ankles, and the Gore-tex doesn't really adjust for your feet at all. I often work around this by leaving the collar untied so my ankle can move around better. I tie all the way up when I plan on some serious hiking though, as the support helps me with steep inclines.

High and thick socks are a definite must. Again, because of the material there isn't much grace for an out-of-line toe or misfitted heel. Getting the right size and trying some on before should minimize the trouble but, especially at the start, I couldn't wear the boots without some thermals.

I have never had a problem keeping the elements out of my boot, or keeping heat/temperature in. Unless I have the collar untied, no dirt, damp or snow can get in.

I really appreciate how consistent the Torres traction has been, be it sand, soil, rocks, snow, I've never felt like I had a problem with traction, except for maybe wet mossy rocks.

The construction and durability has been fantastic. I've had the boots for four years, taken them all through Ecuador's volcanoes and cliffs in the winter, the Amazon, backpacking though Europe, hiking through the Appalachian Trail and camping in the AdirondacksĀ in the summer, walking the width of Ireland in the fall-winter, and trekking from Adelaide to Darwin in Australia in the winter.

Welcome to Trailspace, Tee. Thanks for the review.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Thanks for the reivew, Tee. It sounds like you've taken these boots to some pretty awesome places! Welcome to Trailspace!

Very comfortable boot right out of the box. However,…

Materials: leather and gore-tex
Use: day hikes
Break-in Period: very short
Weight: don't make me guess

Very comfortable boot right out of the box. However, within a year of purchase the interior liner started to separate in the area of the toe box. It was like wearing a sock with wrinkles you couldn't get out. Rendered the boot worthless.

In light of this, I wouldn't buy another pair of Montrails.

rated 4.00 of 5 stars All Torre GTX versions

In addition to the 2 women's reviews above, there are 14 reviews for other versions of the Torre GTX. Read all reviews »

Montrail Women's Torre GTX

The Women's Torre GTX has been discontinued.

The Montrail Women's Torre GTX is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 26, 2013 at Campmor.