Vitesse is a great lightweight nimble trailrunning…

Use: trail running
Break-in Period: about 25 miles

Vitesse is a great lightweight nimble trailrunning shoe. The fit was comfortably snug for my narrow foot but plenty of room in the toebox. I've been sold on Montrails since buying my first pair of Montrail Ultra hiking shoes.

My only problem with the Vittesse was at about 600 miles a piece of wire poked through the back of the shoe and was a source of irritation to the back of my heel. Otherwise, I may have kept them longer.

PROS: Vitesse is the cadillac of trail runners. Especially…

Use: trail running, day hikes, light backpack
Break-in Period: a couple of hours
Weight: 190 base weight
Price Paid: $49 to 65

PROS: Vitesse is the cadillac of trail runners. Especially important to me is the wide stable base (have had lots of twisted ankles running on trails with narrow sole shoes) and shock absorbing base. Secondary is uppers ability to withstand trail muck and gravel. Toe stone guard also prolongs shoe life. The best trail runners I have ever owned!!!!! I have also used these shoes to do much hiking and light backpacking.

CONS: Shoes do not do well in snow, poor traction. After many pairs of these shoes, the only real problem has been an occasional sole coming unglued.

Otherwise, Montrail is a great shoe company, and have owned many different models of their products, but Vitesse is my absolute favorite.

Note: shoes run a full half size small.

Montrail Men's Vitesse

The Men's Vitesse has been discontinued.

The Montrail Men's Vitesse is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen December 15, 2009 at Backcountry Outlet.

"Lazy. And Damn Good Looking"—Meet Andy, Backpacker, Geographer, Reviewer of the Month

Black Diamond Women's First Light Hoody Review