Montrail Zealot

It's taken me about 6 months to properly break in…

Materials: synthetic
Use: bouldering
Break-in Period: forever

It's taken me about 6 months to properly break in this shoe. I purchased it a half size smaller than my normal climbing shoes, and although now it's fine, these shoes literally brought tears to my eyes on an easy sport route. I always brought backups to the gym, and wore these on a problem or two before changing into more comfortable shoes. Then one day, low and behold, they became the Best Climbing Shoes!!!

The shoes finally molded to my foot, I developed the proper upper toe calluses, and learned to really power moves with the big toe. I now love these shoes, but they are still difficult to get on and off, and must be removed now and again between problems to avoid the dreaded arch cramp.

I got it for real cheap through some European company,…

I got it for real cheap through some European company, but I love this shoe. You do have to wear it A LOT to get it somewhat confortable. The smearing on this shoe is amazing. The heel is sick for heel hooks and the shoe focuses your power to the smallets spots on your feet.

The negatives.... the shoe does come apart after a while if you are an advid climber. I climbing on it 6-7 times a week and the rubber in the front is de-laminating. I have added some super glue, haha, for time being and it helps. I am just doing this to hold me over a month until I buy a new pair.

This shoe is sticky. It makes a terrible climber like…

This shoe is sticky. It makes a terrible climber like me stay on the wall long enough to grab the next hold. I wouldn't call them comfortable because no climbing shoe is, but it's great for short sport and gym workouts.

If you've owned or used a Montrail Zealot, please share your experience.

Montrail Zealot

The Zealot has been discontinued.

The Montrail Zealot is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new climbing shoe, check out the best reviewed current models.