Morakniv Companion Heavy Duty Knife

Great price for a sturdy, sharp knife. I was looking…

Summary

Great price for a sturdy, sharp knife.

Pros

• Sharp!
  • Inexpensive
  • Hard to miss the Hi-vis orange

Cons

• High carbon blade needs more regular attention

I was looking for a decent low-cost trail knife and many folks all over the 'net recommended Morakniv Companion, or the Companion HD if you plan to baton wood and other bushcrafting.

Found a pretty good deal on eBay (somewhere around $18 I believe) and ordered one. Heck, it's inexpensive enough that I could have ordered 3 or 4, but I wanted to be sure this is what I wanted before going hog wild. I had ordered the high-vis orange so when I set the knife down in the grass or leaves I would still be able to find it (Oh, the burdens of getting old and feeble-minded...).

Tested this knife in the kitchen initially. Works great on tomatoes and the acid from the tomatoes will help start a patina on the knife. Because of this I hadn't yet started to force a patina. Figure I'll just keep using it in the kitchen and it will get there. Cuts meat exceptionally well also. But because of the width of the blade on the HD model, it tends to "split" harder items like carrots and apples rather than "slice". This is not a drawback as I see it, however, as this knife wasn't meant for food prep.

Taking the knife outdoors to its intended environment is where this really shines. Making fuzz sticks, batonning wood and cutting cord are all things it does exceptionally well. While I initially had hesitations about the rubberized handle I have come to find it very comfortable and offering a good grip. Even with sweaty hands the knife stays put in my hands very well. Hasn't yet slipped when whittling, cutting or chopping. The spine of the blade is squared off enough to use with a firesteel.

I am somewhat ambivalent about the sheath, but for the price, you can't argue about it. Going to order the regular Companion now for food-prep and lighter duty uses.

Welcome to Trailspace, John! Thanks for sharing your Morakniv review. I hope you'll keep us posted on how it fares. I'd love to see a picture of yours in your review, if you're willing to add it.

Welcome, John! Thanks for the review.

trouthunter MODERATOR

Excellent knife especially for the money, sharper than Einstein. Thanks for the review John!

6 hours ago

For the price, you cannot beat the quality. I have…

Summary

For the price, you cannot beat the quality. I have the Heavy Duty model and it is great. The carbon Steel does require a little more maintenance but no problem. I like the sturdy plastic sheath.

Pros

• Price is excellent
  • Stays aharp

I have two of the Heavy Duty version of this knife.  I put one in the kitchen to test and one in the backpack to test on the trail.

The knife holds an excellent edge and I have sliced many a tomato, carrots, ham, hotdogs, etc in the kitchen. On the trail, I have batoned and cut 550 cord.

The Heavy Duty model has a thicker overall blade. If you are used to using stainless steel blades, you should put a patina on this knife because it is Carbon Steel (how to on youtube).

Finally, the regular version of this is probably a better kitchen knife and the Heavy Duty (HD) is better for the trail.  For the price EXCELLENT KNIFE!

Morakniv Companion Heavy Duty Knife

The Morakniv Companion Heavy Duty Knife is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new fixed-blade knife, check out the best reviewed current models.