Morakniv Companion Knife

Can’t beat the price for what you get! Very sharp…

Price Paid: $13, Amazon

Summary

Can’t beat the price for what you get! Very sharp right from the start, it’s a great multi-purpose carbon steel knife, very functional drop point blade. From prepping camp food to cutting rope, I’d recommend for anyone’s pack.

Pros

• Inexpensive
  • Sharp, very sharp!
  • Sheath secures knife tightly
  • Multi-functional
  • Handle grips well when wet

Cons

• Carbon steel prone to rust/tarnish

I've had this knife for a little over three months and it has become my go-to knife both on and off the trail. From opening and breaking down cardboard boxes, to cutting lengths of rope, and even cutting some pepperoni while car camping it has performed awesome!

Costing just a little over $13 from Amazon the following is what is included and its attributes:

• Carbon steel knife (see "Maintenance") - Made in Sweden
  • Rubberized handle
  • Plastic sheath
  • 8.5 inches from handle end to blade tip
  • Knife is 4 ounces (I do not have a digital scale, unconfirmed)

Knife-1-.jpg

You can see the comparison of its total 8.5" length and the blade height when next to a steak knife.
Knife.png

Uses

Multi-purpose is the best way that I've come to describe this. While it does not have a serrated edge, I have used it to cut pepperoni logs, cut up shirts into rags, cut back rose bushes, and 5mm rope (takes just two firm pushes to completely cut) for DIY projects. I was apprehensive at first after I purchased it due to the cheap cost and plastic sheath, but found myself wanting to use it for everything, even cutting open our mail.

IMG_20140805_194541.jpg

Sharpness

I was very surprised at how sharp this blade was from the very start and how sharp is has maintained. That was one of the reasons I decided to buy it and it hasn't let me down.  I'd put it right up against any middle-end chef's knife.  I have also maintained its edge using my Lansky Blademedic ceramic joint after cutting through some thick rose branches, though it hasn't really been necessary.

Handling

The knife feels great in the hand.  The curvature of the handle is unlike the steak knife. Slightly wider at the top (what is held in the crook of your palm, next to your thumb) and has that slight triangular design.; more of an ergonomic grip per se.  The grip is gummy, yet not overly so.

downward.jpg

The important factors for me when it comes to safety were two-fold: (1) how does it handle when wet and (2) how secure is the knife in the sheath.  Since May it has been the wet weather.  The grip is rubberized and does not feel too slick when it is wet or my had has been soaked.

Note the tapered edge which is what secures the knife when sheathed, mentioned below.
Sheath.png

The hip clip is very stiff and tight against the waistline. Typically I hold it or pack it, not using the buckle much, but it is well made. Unless stressed, I don't see it breaking off any time soon.  Keep in mind it is a thick plastic, so it is possible.
Sheath2.png

The plastic sheath holds the knife securely by its design, tapering on the sheath at the point where the knife handle begins. As I mentioned, I do not want any knife to loosen from its position when not needed.  I have shaken the knife while it is the sheath (holding the sheath’s tipped-end) and it hasn’t budged yet.When putting this knife away, there is a click of the handle against the plastic when it is secure.

One concern of mine is the longevity of this method. Instead of having any tie down, this is the only way to keep the knife in the sheath. After time, if the handle end (where blade meets the grip) becomes worn, then the knife may be too loose in the sheath. If this were to happen it’ll be so long in the future, I’d probably just buy another $13 knife or make a DIY method to secure it.

Notch.png

Maintenance

With this being made from carbon steel instead of stainless steel or having a protecting coating, this knife can be susceptible to rust or tarnishing. Something I’ve read in the past was to oil it down with mineral oil.  Personally I’ve used synthetic motor oil one time so far, only a few drops are needed.  This came from reading about someone who used synthetic motor oil for the katanas he makes and sells for several grand; if it’s good enough for him, it’ll be good enough for me!

There is a hole at the end of the sheath. I'd think this would be to drain any water or dirt which may be lodged in the sheath.  A good point because of the carbon steel to not have it potentially tucked away with water
Hole.png

Untested Items

I'd like to see how this blade or spine does with striking a flint. Not having one at the moment, I was unable to test this capability.

Overall

I'm not a guy who has a ton of experience with knives. I've had pocket knives a-plenty and a handful of 4-6 inch blade knives. It also comes in several different colors from black, green, and even bright orange. If the carbon steel isn't an option for you, there are also options of stainless steel and carbon steel with an anti-corrosive layer.

For $13, you can't go wrong  using this for any type of outdoor activity or having as a household multipurpose knife. Having never heard of it until a few months ago, I'll recommend it from now on.

Another very helpful review, thanks for sharing it, Daniel!

Another great review! Thanks, Daniel.

An extremely sharp, durable, carbon steel knife for…

Summary

An extremely sharp, durable, carbon steel knife for $15?? Yes, please!

Pros

• Very sharp
  • Nice rubber grip
  • Sheath included
  • Made in Sweden

Cons

• Not a full tang knife
  • Spine of blade cannot produce sparks with a flint striker
  • Carbon steel tarnishes easily

This is by far the best knife under 20 bucks that I have found. (If anyone has found a better one, or has a suggestion, comment below because I'd like to check it out!)

Simply put, it is durable, sharp, easy to hold, and light weight. It has become my trusty companion — no pun intended — on many hikes and camping adventures.

The fixed blade is a little over 4 inches long (spine is 2.5mm, or .10in) with a drop point edge and straight from the factory it is really sharp. I was able to cut paper with only the weight of the knife by sliding it back and forth on the paper's edge. With some bigger stuff, it can easily cut through quarter inch sticks.

The carbon steel is really strong. There's no give to it, and I've been able to use it for batoning thicker branches and such. I don't use it for that, but if I had to, I know I could.

Even the edge of the blade is durable. When I first got it, I was sitting by a campfire preparing a stick to roast some sausage and hot dogs. Used to a knife that isn't as sharp, I cut straight through the stick and hit the sharp edge right across a rock. When I looked at the blade, there was just one small ding in it, which I was able to get out later.

There is nothing super special about the sheath, but there really isn't anything bad about it either. It's one piece of molded plastic, and it's quite durable. The knife snaps right in, and it holds the knife well. There is a small hole in the sheath where the point of the knife is. I'm guessing that's to allow water do drain if it gets wet.

There are really only two things that disappointed me about the knife. One is that it's not a full tang knife. It's a 3/4 tang knife, which means that the steel does not entirely part of the handle. That usually means it's less durable, but I've had no durability issues yet.

The biggest letdown for me about this knife is that when I struck the spine against my flint, it did not create sparks. I fixed that problem by filing down part of the spine to make a sharp enough edge to create sparks.

So far this knife has been well worth the money. The Swedish-made carbon steel is sturdy and very sharp. The rubber grip feels really good in my hands, and I clip the sheath either to my backpack or my belt. It's light enough that I don't feel it there, and I was able to make it create sparks.

For $15 dollars, you can do just about anything with it and not feel guilty about ruining it, and you can use it for lots of different jobs. My dad likes to use his for basic wood working and one of my buddies takes his fishing.

I would highly recommend this knife. I've yet to find a better quality-for-the-price ratio. And they make great gifts!

Daniel Oates

Great review, Adam! I actually got one last month and I like it so far. Haven't tried to use it with a flint, but the filing down is good to know.

Adam Jepson

Thanks for the comment! Yeah, the spine was a bit rounded and not rough enough to make sparks when dragged across a flint. Filing it down made the edge more square, and I now get lots of sparks.

trouthunter MODERATOR

I agree, this is a great 'bang for the buck' knife. They are sharp, durable, and fit the hand well.

ilmbaba

The best deal around. This knife was rated as one of the best outdoor knives to have by either Field and Stream or Outdoor Life (I forget which one). I have bought a few. I am missing one (not sure where I left it) and I'm not crying because I'm only out $15.00. I've never missed the full tang so, for me, not a big deal. Nice review!

DonP

Great knives! I've got 2 Companions, 1 Firesteel and 1 filet and I absolutely love them. Great camp and all around duty knives. I've also got a short blade crafting knife for cutting Amsteel and the like and it works great too. Never miss the full tang and the handle does indeed feel great in the hand. Great review Adam!

mrappe

I have this knife and love it. If you take the knife and put it in a vice so that the top edge is sticking up above the vice you can use a file to file the top edge to be flat and not rounded. Then wrap some sandpaper around the file and smooth it off and it will throw sparks with a firesteel. You just need a 90 degree edge on top to throw sparks. As it is you can stiil use the blade side but it will dull the blade.