Moss Tents Stargazer

I love it. Can see the stars and moon at night. Since…

Summary

I love it. Can see the stars and moon at night. Since the windows can zip shut for privacy, the fly is not necessary, so the "star gazer" at the top of the tent is not covered up.

Pros

• Spacious and can stand upright.
  • Looks very good.
  • Stable.
  • Windows zip shut for privacy, thus the fly does not have to be used, which increases ventilation.

Cons

• It does help to have a second person to set up, but not for take down.
  • In a heavy rainstorm, I did get water coming in from the bottom. But I had used a tarp underneath, and was on a hill which directed the water to the tent.

Got it about '91. Used it car camping in Yosemite, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas. With the fly off, it is a pleasure to look at the moon and the stars. I really like that the windows can zip up for privacy without having to use the fly which helps with ventilation. At 5'5" I can stand upright and it is roomy.

Highly recommend it.

The tent has been bomber proof until this past spring…

Price Paid: $389 in 2000

The tent has been bomber proof until this past spring when the zipper finally failed. I've had this baby from Rainier to the deserts of Utah. The BIGGEST reason it didn't get 5 stars is the weight.

I do like the room, leg/head etc is very spacious.

My Stargazer is been in annual use since 1985 (I think)…

Price Paid: I don't remember

My Stargazer is been in annual use since 1985 (I think) and has been a good friend.

First use was in October and it held up under a foot of wet snow. It's been to the top of Mt. Whitney, Glacier back country and a good number of the high peaks in the Adorondaks.

I think I'm ready for a lighter tent!

This is an excellent tent. Windproof, rainproof, well…

Design: 3 season, freestanding
Ease of Setup: Good, but not in a high wind.
Weight: 7-8 lbs

This is an excellent tent. Windproof, rainproof, well ventilated with the noseeum netting ceiling. Vestibule is too small for packs, which is a drawback, and makes it difficult to get in and out. Flaws include: mosquito netting on the door is inside the storm door! The fly door allows too much weather in when it's open.

Ours is five years old, and the pole sleeves and floor are beginning to give out. However, this is after five years of use on granite campsites with much abrasion.

Interior space is excellent for two people, it is high enough to sit up comfortably, and change clothes etc. Excellent stability in the highest winds. Light colour keeps it cool in hot weather.

If you've owned or used a Moss Tents Stargazer, please share your experience.

Moss Tents Stargazer

The Moss Tents Stargazer is not available from the stores we monitor.