Mountain Hardwear Alcove 3 GT

We got this tent at a great price from Hilton's Tent…

Design: Free Standing with Alcove
Ease of Setup: Can it be any easier? Very simple.
Weight: 9 lbs 10 oz

We got this tent at a great price from Hilton's Tent City www.hiltonstentcity.com and used it in the BWCA. We almost bought the Haven 3 because of the weight, but the Alcove was preferred because of size and so much mesh (we do warmer weather camping, and with the fly it stays plent warm).

Only thing that stops me from giving 5 stars is the weight. For canoe camping it's perfect, though, and I love the space. It has a large alcove, and it is very tall inside, and with the extra backside pole it's very comfortable for us and our 90 lb Doberman Pinscher we take with us.

I highly recommend this tent. We also compared it to the Hammerhead 3 and REI Taj 3. We did a ton of research and this tent was definitely the best one for us.

I have read the other review of this tent and I don't…

Ease of Setup: difficult at night

I have read the other review of this tent and I don't think it is the most intuitive tent to set up. I have been hiking for years and had several high end tents. The two poles that give the tent the large vestibules are different sizes and the holes that they attach can be confusing, especially at night.

I also don't like attaching the front fly the the pole using the velcro tabs. Once you have the fly attached don't worry about the rain, it hasn't leaked a drop. The tent ventilates well with no fly, but still provides adequate privacy.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Alcove 3 GT, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Alcove 3 GT

The Alcove 3 GT has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Alcove 3 GT is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.