Mountain Hardwear Aurora Parka

The Aurora parka and pants are full featured shell…

Fabric: Gore-tex Paclite laminated to ripstop nylon

The Aurora parka and pants are full featured shell garments utilizing the new Gore Paclite laminate. They are not the lightest weight shells available (Arc'teryx Beta LT, a 3 layer shell and TNF AnaDablum also Paclite are lighter) weighing in a combined, both size large, at just over 2lbs. Still lighter than most 2 or 3 ply G-tex shells.

What you get is full length 2-way main zip on the parka and pants, pit zips, slash (out of the way of pack straps) chest pockets that also vent, a fitted hood (may be too small to wear over a helmet, but works great over my ball cap), parka length covers the butt, the parka waist level pull cord and pants "belt" lie flat for minimal chafing under a hipbelt, and so on.

After six months of use, I am only unhappy with the DWR -- it is wetting out (though a run in the clothes dryer restores it). Ventilation is very good, unless I really exert myself do I soak myself. The only leakage I've suffered is when I left the rear pocket of the pants unzipped and a bit of rain snuck in. Durability, so far no signs of wear and tear.

Super lightweight yet durable. Highly breathable,…

Fabric: Gore-tex Paclite
Price Paid: $350 (US)

Super lightweight yet durable. Highly breathable, yet watertight. I sweat like a pig on a climb, yet this shell let the perspiration out (unlike my heavier 3 ply Gore shell). Only critisism is the sizes run small, so get a size larger to accomodate a fleece jacket.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Aurora Parka, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Aurora Parka

The Aurora Parka has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Aurora Parka is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.