Mountain Hardwear Bedlam Vest

Weight 14 oz / 397 g
Center Back Length 27 in / 69 cm
Body Fabric Gridiron™ Fleece

Of all the fleece vests I have owned, this is one.

Of all the fleece vests I have owned, this is one.

• Warm enough
  • Fits right
  • Reinforced shoulders
  • Napoleon pocket is nice
  • On sale

• It's just a vest
  • Needs one more chest pocket

So I usually wear Columbia fleece vests that I pay about twenty bucks for on sale. Mine finally wore out (zipper died) so I got this MH one on sale in Butte.

I am not a huge MH fan because their gear, to me, is overpriced and over promoted, but this time the sale price got me.  I especially liked the idea of shoulder patches for pack straps, even though I doubt they will extend the life of the thing too much. I also like the big inside packets and the chest pocket. If it had two chest pockets I'd like it more. I always seem to be using these pockets for lip balm, gum, maps, etc.

It's spring here and a vest is just the thing for outside in the wind and variable sunshine. The material and fit is what you would expect from a company like MH. I am 5-10 and 220# and the large fits me with a LS shirt underneath. It rides just below the beltline; about where I think it should. The fleece material feels slightly thicker than your average material; good quality.

I think people lie in reviews a lot and say they got a better deal than they really did so they don't feel like fools so here is the proof of what I paid. Retail is about ninety (omg!) and most places carry it for sixty-something.  I don't think its worth that much. I paid forty-two and it's probably worth it. So far, so good.

Mountain Hardwear Bedlam Vest

The Mountain Hardwear Bedlam Vest is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at

If you're looking for a new fleece vest, check out the best reviewed current models.