Mountain Hardwear Bedlam Vest

Weight 14 oz / 397 g
Center Back Length 27 in / 69 cm
Body Fabric Gridiron™ Fleece

Of all the fleece vests I have owned, this is one.

Of all the fleece vests I have owned, this is one.

• Warm enough
  • Fits right
  • Reinforced shoulders
  • Napoleon pocket is nice
  • On sale

• It's just a vest
  • Needs one more chest pocket

So I usually wear Columbia fleece vests that I pay about twenty bucks for on sale. Mine finally wore out (zipper died) so I got this MH one on sale in Butte.

I am not a huge MH fan because their gear, to me, is overpriced and over promoted, but this time the sale price got me.  I especially liked the idea of shoulder patches for pack straps, even though I doubt they will extend the life of the thing too much. I also like the big inside packets and the chest pocket. If it had two chest pockets I'd like it more. I always seem to be using these pockets for lip balm, gum, maps, etc.

It's spring here and a vest is just the thing for outside in the wind and variable sunshine. The material and fit is what you would expect from a company like MH. I am 5-10 and 220# and the large fits me with a LS shirt underneath. It rides just below the beltline; about where I think it should. The fleece material feels slightly thicker than your average material; good quality.

I think people lie in reviews a lot and say they got a better deal than they really did so they don't feel like fools so here is the proof of what I paid. Retail is about ninety (omg!) and most places carry it for sixty-something.  I don't think its worth that much. I paid forty-two and it's probably worth it. So far, so good.