Mountain Hardwear Carnic Jacket

The Carnic jacket by Mountain Hardwear really performs…

Price Paid: $110 on

The Carnic jacket by Mountain Hardwear really performs well at its stated goal - lightweight, breathable weather protection. I recently used mine on a quick, end-of-Winter camping and cross country skiing trip (having just purchased it) and it did its job with aplomb.

I used it over a technical shirt while skiing and although it was a little bit warm for the upper 20's conditions, the decent venting options and technical characteristics of the fabric did a good job and kept me from overheating. Since I tend to run pretty warm when I'm exercising, this performance becomes even more notable. The jacket also warmed me up quickly and effectively whenever I had a prolonged stop and needed to "batten up the hatches".  Just closing the hand pockets had a profound effect on heat retention.

The Carnic was also a very effective top layer when the weather got cold.  With temps in the low single digits (and one below zero night), it paired extremely well with a fleece jacket.  Despite not having a powder skirt, it still kept my body heat where I needed it.  There was no bellows effect, which really surprised me.  Since it's such an overall lightweight product, this performance is really impressive.

I like the welded seams and the storm-proof zippers, and the fit is very efficient for me.  The only drawback to the jacket is that the hood is so targeted for use with a helmet that it is not as fitted or comfortable when you're not wearing one (despite the amount of adjustment options built in).  I never really got the hood to function as well as I would've liked, but I have had similar experiences with other helmet-engineered hoods, so this is not unique to the Carnic.

Overall, a great technical shell that is useful across a broad range of applications.  It will cut down on the number of shells I need to bring on future outdoor adventures!

Mountain Hardwear Carnic Jacket

The Carnic Jacket has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Carnic Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new waterproof jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.

Granite Gear Air Zippditty Review