Mountain Hardwear Desna Jacket

Weight 1 lb 1 oz / 482 g
Center Back Length 27 in / 69 cm
Body Fabric Stretch Fleece, 93% polyester, 7% elastane

Don't waste your money. This isn't the fleece that…

Price Paid: Too much ($145)

Summary

Don't waste your money. This isn't the fleece that you are looking for.

Pros

• Unrestricted movement
  • Has a hood
  • Easily compressed
  • Very breathable
  • Very comfortable
  • My girlfriend says it looks good
  • Nice sized pockets

Cons

• Incredibly thin
  • Minimaly wind resistant
  • The hood does not fit at all as advertised (very loose, acts as wind sock)
  • Expensive for what it is
  • Not really a fleece
  • Not for cool weather
  • Not water resistant
  • You can see through it when held up
  • Dries slow
  • Uselessly small thumb holes
  • I feel ripped off

3/28/14: I just got this jacket today in the mail. I've gotta say I was expecting more of a fleece than an incredibly thin stretching zip-up sweatshirt. I got it for its light weight for backpacking and as an insulating layer under my rain shell in cold/rainy/snowy/windy weather, and my first impression of the jacket has left me a little concerned about my choice.

My previous fleece/all weather insulating layer was a Columbia Steens fleece that I got at a thrift store with the tags still on it for $12. I did a review of it on here, and i think the $12 Clumbia is much more water resistant, wind resistant and warmer. The Desna is longer, has a hood, packs down smaller more easily, weighs less, is more breathable under the arms, and is more comfortable due to the very thin and stretchy material, but value vs value, the Columbia wins hands down in my opinion. The Desna is very overpriced for what it is, and all of the reviews I've read online give it way more credit than this jacket is worth.

Despite my initial first impressions of this "fleece", I put it on over a moisture wicking t-shirt, grabbed my pack, and took to the game lands down the road. It's the end of March in northeastern PA and it's been a windy 45 degree day with sun/clouds mix and there's spots in the forest that still have 6" of snow in some places. There was a little rain earlier in the day also so the environment was relatively cold and damp with ice in the ravines and water dripping from trees.

As the wind blew, I could feel it a whole lot through the jacket, which made me immediately think that the people online that said this thing was wind resistant were full of crap. Then as I went climbing up the steep ice coated ravines, I got some drips of water on me from the rocks up above, and it immediately went through and got my arms wet. This made me think that the people who reviewed this jacket online had lied to me twice now.

1512287_579126805517398_1234093182_n.jpg

I've worn a $12 Columbia Steens fleece in the exact same scenarios several dozen times throughout the thick of winter, and while working outside in a steady drizzle, and the Columbia blows the Mt Hardwear out of the water.

But back to the Desna. As I climbed up the ice and rocks, I stayed warm despite the constant drafts, and I never started to sweat even during extended periods of exerted energy. I also had a backpack on my back weighing roughly 13 lbs.

In addition to the jacket not really being at all as advertised (not really wind resistant or water resistant), the hood does not fit like a balaclava at all. It zips up so that it's snug to the bottom of your chin, but there's no possible way it could cover a mouth, let alone the nose too. The hood is a little loose for a hood that's suppose to be "snug" as advertised.

All in all, after having this jacket for 5 hours, and testing it once in what I would call average fleece weather, I would not recommend this to a friend. It's my first Mountain Hardwear product and I have to say that I am very unimpressed. It's severely overpriced, and falsely advertised. Find it in a store before you buy it online (a good basic rule, but not always an option).

EDIT 6/17/2014: I keep trying to like this jacket more than I originally did, but it's just too thin to be of use in cooler weather. 45 degrees is about the temp. limit of this "fleece", and that's pushing it. There is almost no air resistance at all. I think I would classify this jacket as a ladies house coat, or a sweatshirt for semi cool summer nights. If you're looking for an insulating layer fleece to keep you warm, look elsewhere.

A technical fleece with incredible stretch from hood to hem. Designed for maximum activity with unmatched freedom of movement, the Desna Jacket’s athletic fit and close-fitting hood allow it to fit easily under shells or parkas as a lightweight midlayer.

• Close fitting hood, designed to fit under helmet
  • Dual hem drawcords for quick fit adjustments
  • Zip chest stash pocket
  • Integrated thumb loops for warmth
  • Zip handwarmer pockets

Visit Mountain Hardwear's Desna Jacket page.

Mountain Hardwear's Desna Jacket features a Polartec Power Stretch Hardface that melds the stretch, warmth, and breathability of a fleece with the protection of a soft shell. Treated with an advanced surface-fusion polymer for abrasion resistance and water repellency. Power Stretch side panels add stretch and breathability where you need it.

- CampSaver.com

A technical hooded fleece with incredible stretch, the men's Mountain Hardwear Desna Fleece Jacket aces climbs and ascents with great freedom of movement.

Mountain Hardwear Desna Jacket for MenThe Mountain Hardwear Desna Jacket for Men is designed to give you most activity with unmatched freedom of movement. This jacket has athletic fit and close-fitting hood which allows it to fit easily under shells or parkas as a lightweight midlayer. It has zip handwarmer pockets that are a blessing in chilly conditions. A zip stash pocket is in the jacket to keep your smaller items within the reach of your hand.The athletic fit of the jacket allows it to fit easily under shells or parkas as a lightweight midlayer. Two hem drawcords for quick adjustment. The Mountain Hardwear Desna Jacket for Men has a close-fitting hood and will keep you quite warm in any weather condition.

- SunnySports

Mountain Hardwear beefed up the Desna Fleece Jacket with an advanced flexible poly fleece that keeps you warm and opens up your range of motion. You'll be able to reach for overhead holds without being held back by a binding jacket. Plus, if the weather turns, this breathable fleece slides neatly under a waterproof shell.