Mountain Hardwear Drifter Pack

I have had this pack for about 2 years, and have come…

Size: 2200CU
Number of Pockets: 2 (Main Plus Brain)
Max. Load Carried: 45LBS
Height of Owner: 6'0"

I have had this pack for about 2 years, and have come full circle in my opinion about it.

I purchased this to replace my school backpack as well as double as a day pack for hiking, and was originally a bit turned off by the single compartment and big zippers.

However, after I got used to it, I came to love the big rugged zippers, and have never had qualms absolutely yanking on them to get the pack closed. The newer versions actual hip straps are a great improvement, and even though I still just have the nylon strips at the waist, the pack is very comfortable to wear both out and about in the wilderness, as well as lugging books to class.

The upper brain compartment works great to hold a DSLR camera but don't be fooled by its advertisements of having a "Padded Camera compartment", its about the size of a cell phone holder held shut with velcro, and you would be much better off either carrying your camera with you, or chucking it in the brain of the pack.

This is a great backpack. I bought it mostly to carry…

This is a great backpack. I bought it mostly to carry all my climbing gear around which has worked extremely well for me. It is also a great size for any day excursions and some overnight trips.

The fit is great and the straps are a nice width which makes it comfortable and carries the load for you. The padded pockets on the inside for electronic devices are very helpful as well.

The Drifter held up over a hard month of backpacking…

Design: Daypack
Size: 1900 cubic inches
Number of Pockets: 4
Max. Load Carried: 30 lbs.
Height of Owner: 5'10''

The Drifter held up over a hard month of backpacking through Europe and Asia. The weight distribution was so light, and I could barely tell when I added more and more weight to the pack. The material is durable, and the compartments make getting key things convenient. The protective inner pocket along the spine gave me some security knowing some of the most important things I was carrying were safe. Excellent pack.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Drifter Pack, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Drifter Pack

The Drifter Pack has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Drifter Pack is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new daypack (under 2,000 cu in), check out the best reviewed current models.