Mountain Hardwear Elkommando Kilt

The only thing I have missed since I left my pants…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

The only thing I have missed since I left my pants behind and started hiking in kilts? A kilt made of fast-drying, brush-resistant nylon. The Elkommando kilt brings technical excellence to the convenience and comfort of hiking in a kilt. Added bonus: side pockets, which traditional kilts lack.

Pros

• Fast-drying
  • Tough fabric
  • Doesn't show dirt
  • Modesty snap is a plus
  • Pockets are good-sized and well-placed
  • Fits well with a backpack hipbelt

Cons

• Tends to be a bit tight in the hips
  • Hip snaps, unsnapped, chafe
  • A bit shorter than I would prefer
  • Waist not very adjustable.

DSC03823.jpg
The Elkommando has the comfort factor of a kilt. But the fit leaves a little to be desired. Most kilts are about six inches wider in the hips than the waist, and that fits the majority of men. But the Elkommando seems to have less of a difference, meaning that a kilt that fits across the waist is a bit tight across the hips. I thought I had solved that by not snapping the snaps at the hips, only to end up with an abrasion on my left hip from the open snap. Snapping just the left one solved the problem.

Then there's the length. At 21-22 inches, I need to wear it lower than I would prefer in order to have it come to just above my knees, which is where a traditional kilt falls and where I feel comfortable with it. That's about normal for a modern kilt; it's just a bit shorter than I would prefer.

It would help if the kilt was adjustable across the waist. Many modern kiltmakers use velcro on the waist to provide some adjustability. But the Elkommando has a snap and a belt. If it's just right or a bit loose, that's great. But if you're just a tad larger than the high end of the waist measurement, you need to go up a size.

When it got wet in a rainstorm, it was still comfortable to wear and dried quickly. I have found it to be refreshingly cool in hot weather, and the waistband wicks well. I have not used it in cold weather.

Because the waist is basically non-adjustable, it layers well only when adding layers on top.

Pockets are well-placed and generous, and close securely with snaps.

After five days of backpacking, it looked clean and brand new. It is nice enough to wear casually around town. So far, I have only one trip and one wearing-out on it, so I would expect it to be holding up well, and it is.

Terry.Tyson

I've tried the Elkommando and though I like hiking in a kilt, I had issues with the fit. I also wish there were more pleats to help in the freedom of movement. I DO think it's a great product if it fits you. I had better luck with the Sport Kilt Hiking Kilt.

Much more comfortable and cooler than hiking in shorts.

Summary

Much more comfortable and cooler than hiking in shorts.

Pros

• material
  • design

Cons

• snaps on pockets

I'm 6'3" 240 lbs with a 44 waist. XXL fit fine. XL was a bit too snug, although it could be worn.

I ran water over the kilt right out of the box and it pooled on the material without soaking any up. I haven't used it in the rain yet, but it seems to be very water resistant.

Worked great in the field, except for the snaps on the pockets. If you try to pull open a pocket with one hand you'll end up revealing the secret of what is beneath your kilt. A zippered pocket closure would work better and be more secure.

I didn't think I would ever use the privacy snap on the hem of the under apron and pleats, but after a hike we went immediately to a post hike picnic and it was nice to be able to snap it up and avoid any inadvertent exposure.

Good enough product that I sent back the XL and ordered a second XXL. Now I can't imagine ever hiking in anything but a kilt where I would otherwise have hiked in shorts. Makes no sense to be torturing my boys on the trail when there is a better option.

Very comfortable, but takes a while to "get comfortable"…

Very comfortable, but takes a while to "get comfortable" with wearing it. I'm 5'11" and 175lbs., the medium fits me well in the waist, but I feel like the "skirt" portion of the garment is a bit snug around the buttocks and thighs.

nogods

I use the XL size. My waist is 44 and it fits just fine. The pleats in the back are more than sufficient to afford the necessary freedom on the trail.

On Sale. Free Shipping. Mountain Hardwear Men's Elkommando Kilt FEATURES of the Mountain Hardwear Men's Elkommando Kilt Micro-Chamois-lined seamless conical waist for comfort under a pack Integrated webbing belt with buckle closure for easy fit adjustments Lots of pockets for storage Fully pleated across back panel for mobility Internal snap closure for modesty SPECIFICATIONS of the Mountain Hardwear Men's Elkommando Kilt Standard Fit Average Weight: 15 oz / 417 g Outseam: 21.5in. / 55 cm Body: Hardwear Canvas (100% nylon)

The Mountain Hardwear Elkommando kilt frees you from the constraints of shorts and pants so you can enjoy your outdoor adventure to the fullest.

In celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Mountain Kilt, Mountain Hardwear created the revised Elkommando Kilt, a tough example of manly wear crafted with burly Hardwear Cloth fabric finished with DWR. Hike in comfort, the conical waist is designed to fit under a pack and the back is fully pleated to provide you with the greatest mobility possible while an integrated belt with buckle and an internal snap closure keep your kilt in place and you covered.

- Mountain Gear

Mountain Hardwear: Men's Elkommando Kilt: Guys with 5,000 hiking miles under their belts will tell you: the kilt is the new short. Built for comfort under a pack, with a soft, seamless chamois lined waist, full back pleats for mobility and an easy fit waist with integrated belt. Micro-Chamois-lined seamless conical waist for comfort under a pack Integrated webbing belt with buckle closure for easy fit adjustments Lots of pockets for storage Fully pleated across back panel for mobility Internal snap closure for modesty DWR finish sheds moisture UPF 50 sun protection

- Mountain Hardwear

This low profile helmet has a 2 1/2 ? (6.5 cm) visor that provides total eye and sun protection. The shell is made of high impact carbon fiber for increased stiffness and protection. A comfortable closed-cell waterproof EVA foam is used to dissipate impacts. For a locked-down fit, the Lee features the Croc-Lok? rear adjustor. Other features include rubber edging trim, top quality webbing and buckles, locking side divider and stainless steel chinstrap rivets.

- RockCreek