Mountain Hardwear Ethereal FTX Parka

Lets face it, I am a gear addict. I read all the reviews…

Fabric: 3 ply Gore-tex

Lets face it, I am a gear addict. I read all the reviews I can find on the internet. I read all the magazines. I talk to anybody that will talk to me about their gear. I go to REI and Adventure 16 to check every piece of gear they have. I love researching gear! After an exhustive review of gore-tex parkas...I chose the Mountain Hardwear Ethereal FTX.

I had VERY high expectations of this jacket. My expectations have been exceeded. This has become my favorite piece of gear. The construction is bomber. Seams are seam taped and totally waterproof. The hood is very functional. It allows you to see clearly from side to side. Important when climbing.

It has lots of venting options which is important to keep from overheating when climbing uphill. Mountain Hardwear also has one of the best costomer service reputations in the industry. If you read all the user reviews on the net, you won't find a bad review or unhappy customer anywhere.

While I know $425 is a lot to pay for a jacket, when I am on the mountain this jacket is what keeps me warm, dry, and comfortable. I would buy this jacket again in a heartbeat.

Well, I got this jacket for free, actually, from a…

Fabric: 3-ply Gore-Tex

Well, I got this jacket for free, actually, from a doctors' clinic in Vail. I would definitely be inclined to buy Mountain Hardwear in my next purchase.

As cool as you might think you are in your TNF jacket looking like an Everest climber, the Mountain Hardwear parka far surpasses anything that TNF makes. This jacket has kept me dry while backpacking, mountaineering, snowboarding, biking, and out with my dog in a snow storm. Construction is impeccable except for the little scratch that my snowboard made in the side of it. Luckily the Gore-tex was not cut and continues to be totally waterproof.

My only complaint would be that the hood is monsterous. This, of course, is great for helmets and bulky hats, but it seems to possibly be too big for what I use it for. (I rarily use a hood, anyway, unless it is really coming down.)

Overall, this is a great jacket. The dual Napoleon pockets that cannot be found on TNF jackets are reason enough to pay 425.

Excellent general purpose backpacking/alpine climbing…

Fabric: 3 layer Gore Tex

Summary

Excellent general purpose backpacking/alpine climbing Gore-tex shell. Very tough, three-layer Gore-tex, excellent hood, no-nonsense design, generously cut for layering.

Cannot think of a downside. I wore mine backpacking at Mt Rainier, on fire lookout duty in the Cascades, around town, and working as a journalist in the former USSR. After seven years, the Gore-tex delaminated and MH gave me a credit to buy a new one. Wow! (Alas, they don't make this jacket any longer, and all their shells are now cut very slim - even a large doesn't fit, whereas I'm a medium in an Ethereal.

Thankfully, I got a nice replacement on eBay.) You might be able to find one cheap.

For the price I got this jacket for it was a steal.

Fabric: triple ply gore-tex
Price Paid: $150 new on ebay

For the price I got this jacket for it was a steal. Whoever sold it to me on ebay either stole it themselves or just forgot how much it's worth because it was new with tags. This jacket is virtually indestructable. I've been on numerous mountain climbing and boundary waters trips and there isn't a tree or rock around that could rip, tear or even scratch it. I couldn't afford to pay $450 for it but if you can find it for under $300 I would definately consider it (new or used it's probably close to the same condition - perfect).

I just sent in my second Ethereal Parka because of…

Fabric: Gore-tex

I just sent in my second Ethereal Parka because of leakage on arms and shoulders. The first time it was replaced immediately, now they sended it to Gore to test it.

The first time I have to wait six weeks. This time I'm still waiting for results. Sended it in on December the 3th.

The first jacket was six month when sended in, the new returned was eight-months-old.

Best use for this jacket is on the Everest, because it never rains there. I would surely never buy this jacket again.

This jacket is very erogonomic and durable. I have…

Fabric: 3 ply Gore-tex

This jacket is very erogonomic and durable. I have used this jacket for skiing, snowshoeing, backpacking, and sailing.

With many options this shell has abundant hook and loop mechanisms for quick cinching of loose material when you are not layering. The hood on this jacket is unbeatable, having elastic sewn in it literally sticks to your head for maximum range of visability. Boosting two Napolean pockets, those small important things remain organized and easily accessable. I strongly recamend this jacket.

Best parka ever made (my second one in red) at an…

Fabric: reinforced ripstop nylon

Best parka ever made (my second one in red) at an advantageous price and mint! Thank you E-bay USA. Use it everywhere. It is strong, underarm zips aeration, ergo hood with visor, plenty pockets whom two sides breast, parallel to the aeration one. Reinforced shoulders. Mountain Hardwear shouldn't have stopped the production for it is excellent!

Very tough Gore. Wore it through a hard three-day…

Fabric: Gore 3 Ply

Very tough Gore. Wore it through a hard three-day rain bushwhacking and it kept me dry and toasty (I have the same pants shell). Well engineered and lots of adjustment for fit.

Not cheap. But it looks like it will last a lonnnnng time.

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Ethereal FTX Parka versions

In addition to the 8 men's reviews above, there are 4 reviews for other versions of the Ethereal FTX Parka. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Men's Ethereal FTX Parka, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Men's Ethereal FTX Parka

The Men's Ethereal FTX Parka has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Men's Ethereal FTX Parka is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen May 11, 2008 at GearTrade.

If you're looking for a new hard shell jacket, check out the best reviewed current models.