Mountain Hardwear Foray

I bought this pack after reading several reviews that…

I bought this pack after reading several reviews that it was a good size for multi-day trips.  Anyone who can pack this bag for a multi-day trip is either a supreme minimalist who lives on powerbars and olive oil shots or has tons of money to spend on the absolute smallest, lightest, and newest gear available.

I have given it several chances to prove its worth, in each situation it failed.

Attempt #1: I originally tried to pack it for a two night Grand Canyon hike along the main corridor trails.

Outcome #1: FAILED.  As soon as you put in a three liter hydration bladder there is no room left for anything else.  I had to re-pack into my older EMS Long Trail, which fit everything fine.

Attempt #2: Packed it for an attempt at a 10,000'+ peak in the California Sierras.

Outcome #2: FAILED.  Pack was too small for a bearbox (Garcia) and hydration sleeve.  I had to re-pack into my EMS Long Trail.

Attemp #3: Two day trip into the Yosemite backcountry.  Outcome #3:  MARGINALLY SUCCESSFUL.  The pack was stuffed to the gills so tightly inside like a jigsaw puzzle that if you misplaced any piece of equipment nothing else would fit.

I am glad I bought this on a 35% off coupon from Sierra Trading Post and didn't waste much money on it. I don't know how anyone can use this for more than an overnight pack.  I use compressor packs, repackage all my food, and wear the same stinky clothes for days on end.

This bag is nothing more than a glorified daypack.

The first thing I did when I got home was to load…

Design: foray
Size: meidum
Max. Load Carried: 32lbs
Height of Owner: 5ft10in.

The first thing I did when I got home was to load the Foray. After 3 different ways I found that loading the bag center heavy seemed most comfort for me. Love this bag, wish it had entry to inside other than just through the top.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Foray, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Foray

The Foray has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Foray is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 4, 2009 at Sierra Trading Post.