Mountain Hardwear Highmountain 72

This is a good heavy duty pad which provides good…

Price Paid: unknown

Summary

This is a good heavy duty pad which provides good protection from the cold ground in cool weather. While on the heavy side for backpacking, it's good for car camping or other times when weight isn't a major concern. It also rolls up and fastens together with a convenient fastener, eliminating the need for extra straps.

Pros

• Warm

Cons

• Heavy
  • Bulky

I've used this pad mostly for car camping, though I did take it on a couple backpacking trips. When I'm car camping I combine it with a standard Thermarest closed cell pad. The combination makes for a reasonably comfortable arrangement.

Even alone, the Highmountain is not bad. It provides enough insulation that I've been able to use it several times in cold weather, including one trip where my tent was set up on hard packed snow/ice, and I didn't feel the cold through it.

My only reasons for giving it 4 stars rather than 5 are its weight (2.5 lbs) and it's fairly bulky.

Excellent sleeping pad! Survived 28-day NOLS Alaska…

Excellent sleeping pad! Survived 28-day NOLS Alaska Mountaineering (2002) course. I slept like a baby. I currently have a Therm-a-rest which sucks to sleep on.

It's a bit bulky.. although I'm sure the newer models are better.
=)

Mountain Hardwears Highmountain 72 sleeping pad is designed specifically for cold conditions and alpine ascents.

- Backcountry Outlet

Designed with increased insulating capabilities for cold conditions, this sleeping pad uses both open- and closed-cell foam. Closed-cell polyethylene foam provides excellent insulation and durability; open-cell, convoluted foam for comfort, compression and rebound. Lightweight, minimalist design is perfect for alpine ascents. Mesh vent on lower end of pad allows easy and compact roll up. Tie-in loops can be used for coupling with second pad or securing to upgrade bivy. Zippered cover allows for easy pad access and all parts are completely washable. Nylon taslan top is waterproof, while nylon taffeta bottom is waterproof and abrasion-resistant. Mesh pillow sleeve allows you to stuff extra clothing inside to make a comfortable pillow. 6.75 R value. Closeout.

Mountain Hardwear Highmountain 72

The Highmountain 72 has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Highmountain 72 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 26, 2006 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new closed-cell foam sleeping pad, check out the best reviewed current models.