Mountain Hardwear Highmountain 72

This is a good heavy duty pad which provides good…

Price Paid: unknown

Summary

This is a good heavy duty pad which provides good protection from the cold ground in cool weather. While on the heavy side for backpacking, it's good for car camping or other times when weight isn't a major concern. It also rolls up and fastens together with a convenient fastener, eliminating the need for extra straps.

Pros

• Warm

Cons

• Heavy
  • Bulky

I've used this pad mostly for car camping, though I did take it on a couple backpacking trips. When I'm car camping I combine it with a standard Thermarest closed cell pad. The combination makes for a reasonably comfortable arrangement.

Even alone, the Highmountain is not bad. It provides enough insulation that I've been able to use it several times in cold weather, including one trip where my tent was set up on hard packed snow/ice, and I didn't feel the cold through it.

My only reasons for giving it 4 stars rather than 5 are its weight (2.5 lbs) and it's fairly bulky.

Excellent sleeping pad! Survived 28-day NOLS Alaska…

Excellent sleeping pad! Survived 28-day NOLS Alaska Mountaineering (2002) course. I slept like a baby. I currently have a Therm-a-rest which sucks to sleep on.

It's a bit bulky.. although I'm sure the newer models are better.
=)