Mountain Hardwear Mountain Tech Jacket

Weight 1 lb 6 oz / 618 g
Center Back Length 27 in / 69 cm
Body Fabric AirShield Fleece

Love this jacket!! I am 6'2" tall and about 220# and…

Summary

Love this jacket!!

Pros

• Breathable
  • Great wind blocker

Cons

• Burns very easy

I am 6'2" tall and about 220# and the large fits me perfect. I have had this jacket for over 5 years now and I use it all the time.  You can pretty much handle any weather in this jacket with a good base layer like a Patagonia long sleeve silk shirt, then a good hoodie and then the MH Tech Jacket as the outermost layer.

I am usually a very warm blooded type of person so I can get away with just those 3 layers in cold, snowy, and windy weather. It has arm pit zippers so that feature is really nice to help breath and release body heat while hiking. The material on this jacket has held up wonderfully and is very strong.  I am rough on the jacket and I haven't had any rips or snags.

However, it does burn easy. Popping fire embers will instantly burn holes in this jacket.  I have a couple small holes in my jacket from fire embers. The jacket is fairly water resistant. It keeps me dry in small drizzles but water will soak through in a downpour. This jacket is also stylish and looks good for everyday wear too.

I have heard the new Tech Jackets are a bit different than the one I bought over 5 years ago. I have read reviews that the materials and sizing have changed a bit.

I really like this jacket and hope I can find another MH jacket that functions as well as this one does when I decide to retire this one.  I am thinking about going with the Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket for my outer layer in the future.

Below is a pic of me with the jacket last winter in Northern Nevada.  I am only wearing three layers and my MH beenie and I stay plenty warm and comfortable.

Rick-Pittsburgh

Jason, this is a 5yr old jacket... Is this the WINDSTOPPER® Tech? The reason I ask is that I have one that is a few years old and it is the version that came before the Mountain Tech which is constructed from Gore WINDSTOPPER® and it is noted on the right sleeve close to the cuff via embroidery. Mine is the same scheme color as yours with a few small differences such as sleeve design(more softshell material) and the nut logo is on the upper left sleeve on mine. I have to agree it is an awesome jacket. I am wearing it in quite a few of my photos and use it under a hardshell in the winter quits a bit.

Ja. R.

Hi Rick-Pittsburgh. Yes. You are correct. It is the Windstopper Tech! Great jacket. I think I reviewed the wrong style Tech Jacket. Hard to keep track of them. Sorry about that.

Rick-Pittsburgh

No worries. It was more of a curiosity on my end than anything. I am a strong believer that if ya find an item that works well for you weather it be boots, tents, clothing, etc snag up more than one because the way companies change their line-up anymore you may be up a creek when ya want to replace an item that has become a long time favorite.

1 year ago

Very warm jacket. Great for any use anytime. I have…

Summary

Very warm jacket. Great for any use anytime. I have worn this camping, out on dates, and even with dress clothes. I love the underarm ventilation that allows for me to not get too hot in the jacket.

Pros

• Underarm ventilation
  • Blocks wind reasonably well
  • Jacket for multi-use in different outfits and surroundings

Cons

• Pockets a little awkward to adjust to at first

I bought this jacket probably close to five years ago. I was in need of a great casual winter jacket. A friend of mine had a navy blue one so I got some information about the jacket and then purchased it.

Right away I knew the jacket was very different than anything I have ever owned or used. The front pockets were very high and the jacket was like a semi shell. It took a few months to get the right feel for it.

The winters in northeast Georgia are not too harsh except for the bone cutting winds. This jacket is great for my winter months. It is very light and does a great job with shielding wind from your body. When it is really chilly outside or when I am spending long amounts of time outside I will wear a long sleeve shirt and my Mountain Hardwear, then I am perfect. I have used this jacket in the snow, during casual chilly evenings, and even in the dead of winter.

When I was looking for this jacket I was looking for something that was not bulky but does a great job at keeping the body warm. This jacket does just that. Also, when I get too hot I unzip the under arms that allows for great ventilation.

Just because of this jacket it shows what great products that Mountain Hardwear produces. I have never regretted getting this jacket one moment since I got it. I will more than likely get another one just like it when the one I have is too damaged to wear.

Visit Mountain Hardwear's Mountain Tech Jacket page.

Mountain Hardwear's Mountain Tech Jacket has an AirShield windproof fleece, reinforced with soft shell panels, that create a windproof, water-resistant and durable backcountry piece.

- CampSaver.com

A Mountain Hardwear original, the Mountain Tech jacket is made from windproof fleece and reinforced with soft-shell paneling. This durable, weather-resistant jacket is a great backcountry choice.

The men's Mountain Hardwear Mountain Tech Jacket blends the comfort of fleece with the technicality of a softshell. Airshield Elite fleece creates a warm and windproof barrier while the Deflection Softshell material offers maximum breathability. Combination of AirShield(TM) Elite Fleece and Deflection Softshell for wind protection and breathability Zip handwarmer pockets Dual hem drawcords for quick fit adjustments Pit zips for ventilation

- OMCgear

On Sale. Free Shipping. Mountain Hardwear Men's Mountain Tech Jacket FEATURES of the Mountain Hardwear Men's Mountain Tech Jacket Combination of AirShield Elite fleece and Deflection Softshell for wind protection and breathability Zip handwarmer pockets Dual hem drawcords for quick fit adjustments Pit zips for ventilation SPECIFICATIONS of the Mountain Hardwear Men's Mountain Tech Jacket Average Weight: 1 lb 6 oz / 618 g Center Back: 27in. / 69 cm Body: AirShield Elite Fleece (100% polyester) Panel: Deflection Soft Shell (100% polyester)