Mountain Hardwear Mountain Tech Jacket

Love this jacket!! I am 6'2" tall and about 220# and…

Summary

Love this jacket!!

Pros

• Breathable
  • Great wind blocker

Cons

• Burns very easy

I am 6'2" tall and about 220# and the large fits me perfect. I have had this jacket for over 5 years now and I use it all the time.  You can pretty much handle any weather in this jacket with a good base layer like a Patagonia long sleeve silk shirt, then a good hoodie and then the MH Tech Jacket as the outermost layer.

I am usually a very warm blooded type of person so I can get away with just those 3 layers in cold, snowy, and windy weather. It has arm pit zippers so that feature is really nice to help breath and release body heat while hiking. The material on this jacket has held up wonderfully and is very strong.  I am rough on the jacket and I haven't had any rips or snags.

However, it does burn easy. Popping fire embers will instantly burn holes in this jacket.  I have a couple small holes in my jacket from fire embers. The jacket is fairly water resistant. It keeps me dry in small drizzles but water will soak through in a downpour. This jacket is also stylish and looks good for everyday wear too.

I have heard the new Tech Jackets are a bit different than the one I bought over 5 years ago. I have read reviews that the materials and sizing have changed a bit.

I really like this jacket and hope I can find another MH jacket that functions as well as this one does when I decide to retire this one.  I am thinking about going with the Ghost Whisperer Down Jacket for my outer layer in the future.

Below is a pic of me with the jacket last winter in Northern Nevada.  I am only wearing three layers and my MH beenie and I stay plenty warm and comfortable.

hunting-1.jpg

Rick-Pittsburgh

Jason, this is a 5yr old jacket... Is this the WINDSTOPPER® Tech? The reason I ask is that I have one that is a few years old and it is the version that came before the Mountain Tech which is constructed from Gore WINDSTOPPER® and it is noted on the right sleeve close to the cuff via embroidery. Mine is the same scheme color as yours with a few small differences such as sleeve design(more softshell material) and the nut logo is on the upper left sleeve on mine. I have to agree it is an awesome jacket. I am wearing it in quite a few of my photos and use it under a hardshell in the winter quits a bit.

1 year ago
Jason Ruff

Hi Rick-Pittsburgh. Yes. You are correct. It is the Windstopper Tech! Great jacket. I think I reviewed the wrong style Tech Jacket. Hard to keep track of them. Sorry about that.

Rick-Pittsburgh

No worries. It was more of a curiosity on my end than anything. I am a strong believer that if ya find an item that works well for you weather it be boots, tents, clothing, etc snag up more than one because the way companies change their line-up anymore you may be up a creek when ya want to replace an item that has become a long time favorite.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Mountain Tech Jacket, please share your experience.