Mountain Hardwear Nansen Jacket

Nice fleece! Very light and thin, not a lot of insulation…

Summary

Nice fleece! Very light and thin, not a lot of insulation on the inside but with its wind-stopping ability it's not needed.

Pros

• Thin
  • Light
  • Wind blocker
  • Water resistant
  • Warm

Cons

• More of a mid-layer than stand-alone jacket
  • Arms a little short
  • Zipper catches draft blocker

After months of searching for a new fleece, I stumbled upon this jacket on sale and snagged it. I don't like buying clothes without trying them on but I my current Columbia fleece was a size medium and I ordered this MH jacket in medium as well.

I lucked out - it fits great everywhere but in arm length and I can tolerate it. Without trying a large on I can't fault MH — maybe the large would have been better?

For what it lacks in insulation, it makes up for in wind-blocking. We went from 40-60 degrees last weekend to snow and 20-30's this week and I wore the jacket through both, comfortably. The fleece (suede-like) will catch snowflakes and small raindrops easily but the water resistance hasn't failed me yet.

Another small complaint is the draft-flap inside the zipper area snags on the zipper. I've had to get used to putting my pointer finger inside the zipper to push the draft-flap away as I zip to avoid snags (like with my sleeping bag). Not a big deal right now but I predict it will shorten the life-span of the zipper.

So far so good in many weather conditions!

crjdirt

6 months later and this is still my go-to light jacket. The zipper liner snags a lot though- definitely a design error.

1 year ago