Mountain Hardwear Nansen Jacket

Nice fleece! Very light and thin, not a lot of insulation…

Summary

Nice fleece! Very light and thin, not a lot of insulation on the inside but with its wind-stopping ability it's not needed.

Pros

• Thin
  • Light
  • Wind blocker
  • Water resistant
  • Warm

Cons

• More of a mid-layer than stand-alone jacket
  • Arms a little short
  • Zipper catches draft blocker

After months of searching for a new fleece, I stumbled upon this jacket on sale and snagged it. I don't like buying clothes without trying them on but I my current Columbia fleece was a size medium and I ordered this MH jacket in medium as well.

I lucked out - it fits great everywhere but in arm length and I can tolerate it. Without trying a large on I can't fault MH — maybe the large would have been better?

For what it lacks in insulation, it makes up for in wind-blocking. We went from 40-60 degrees last weekend to snow and 20-30's this week and I wore the jacket through both, comfortably. The fleece (suede-like) will catch snowflakes and small raindrops easily but the water resistance hasn't failed me yet.

Another small complaint is the draft-flap inside the zipper area snags on the zipper. I've had to get used to putting my pointer finger inside the zipper to push the draft-flap away as I zip to avoid snags (like with my sleeping bag). Not a big deal right now but I predict it will shorten the life-span of the zipper.

So far so good in many weather conditions!

crjdirt

6 months later and this is still my go-to light jacket. The zipper liner snags a lot though- definitely a design error.

crjdirt

The zipper finally snagged bad enough that I had to break the zipper to get the jacket off. Frustrating and wasteful.

Mountain Hardwear Nansen Jacket

The Mountain Hardwear Nansen Jacket is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 19, 2015 at Sierra Trading Post.

"Lazy. And Damn Good Looking"—Meet Andy, Backpacker, Geographer, Reviewer of the Month

Black Rock Gear The Original Review