Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Hooded Jacket

Weight 13.3 oz / 377 g
Center Back Length 28 in / 71 cm
Body Fabric Sensor® Ripstop
Insulation Piumino 800 fill

This jacket packs down small, is ultralight, and has…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

This jacket packs down small, is ultralight, and has held up better than I expected. I use it as an insulating layers on trips, but also to throw on on cold days at home.

Pros

• Light
  • Warm

Cons

• Doesn't feel durable
  • Would like a small inside chest pocket

Fit is overall true to MH sizes. I am 6' 175 lbs and the large fits me well. Not form fitting, but comfortable.

This jacket is very comfy to wear. Down always seems to keep me comfortable at a wider range of temps than synthetics.

The hood is cut to fit over a helmet. I would rather have a more form fitting hood and either wear it under a helmet, or tuck it out of the way. If I was climbing, I would almost certainly have a shell on over this and could use the shells hood, but I wanted a hood for those cold, windy days when I'm wearing this to kick around town.  (Honestly I don't have many times when I'm wearing this with a helmet.)

No real adjustability here.  New it seems to shed light precipitation, but I wouldn't wear this in a rain storm without an outer shell.

This is a lightweight down jacket, so it's not going to be as warm as a full winter weight down jacket, but it is warm, especially for the weight.

Layers well over base and fleece layers and under a shell.

So far I haven't had any problems, but it sure feels like one wrong rub against a rock face and there would be down flying.

Two zip handwarmer pockets do the job, but a small pocket inside at the chest would be great for tech devices, medicine, etc.

I have had this jacket for about a year and a half. I have worn it often around town. I have also used it backpacking the Ice Age Trail in October in Wisconsin, hiking the Grand Canyon in Nov., backpacking Canyonlands and hiking in Arches in May, hiking in Yellowstone and the Tetons in Sept., a paddling trip in the Boundary Waters, climbing Mt Meru in Tanzania, and even an early morning sunrise on the top of Mt Haleakala in Maui.

I like and wear this jacket a lot.  Time will tell how well it holds up, but so far so good!

This jacket does not have the durability I have come…

Fabric: Green seran wrap
Fill: 800 fill down

This jacket does not have the durability I have come to expect from Mt'n Hardwear.

The fabric is disturbingly thin. I tore a one-inch hole in it the second day I owned it without even noticing what I snagged it on (and I wasn't even outside!). I patched it up with a few stitches that have held since then.

The hood is a problem. According to Mt'n Hardwear it has a "Sleek, low-profile insulated hood provides a close fit." It is sleek and low-profile with a helmet on! It is neither of those without a helmet on. And there is no drawstring to cinch the hood tight.

On the plus side, the jacket is warm and light. Very warm for the weight. It makes a great insulating layer, but pretty much requires a shell over it if you are outside because of the delicate fabric.

I gave it three stars because I'm going to love it til it falls apart. But I think that won't take too long.

Visit Mountain Hardwear's Men's Nitrous Hooded Jacket page.

For chilly nights, summit attempts, and long days on the slopes, the Mountain Hardwear Hooded Nitrous Jacket is the ideal layering piece. With an impressive warmth to weight ratio, and insulated with water resistant Q.Shield(TM) Down, this jacket will keep you warm no matter what! Q Shield water resistant 800 fill down Two front handwarmer pockets Dual hem drawcords seal in warmth Low profile, insulated hood Jacket stows in pocket

- OMCgear refers to the men's version

Bring Mountain Hardwear's Hooded Nitrous Jacket on every foray into the wild for emergency / lunch time / belay station heat that cost little weight & space. The ultra lightweight down shell has the perfect amount of 800-fill, water-resistant Q.Shield DOWN insulation to get you home safe. The jacket stows in its own pocket and the quilted construction holds insulation in place.

- Mountain Gear refers to the men's version

Mountain Hardwear: Men's Hooded Nitrous Jacket: Get 800-fill, Q.Shield DOWN warmth without the bulk. Boasting an outstanding warmth-to-weight ratio, the low-profile Hooded Nitrous Jacket is fortified with 800-fill Q.Shield DOWN that retains critical loft and warmth even when wet. Stow it in its own pocket for unbeatable packability. Q Shield water resistant 800 fill down Two front handwarmer pockets Dual hem drawcords seal in warmth Low profile, insulated hood Jacket stows in pocket

- Mountain Hardwear refers to the men's version

Free Shipping. Mountain Hardwear Men's Hooded Nitrous Jacket FEATURES of the Mountain Hardwear Men's Hooded Nitrous Jacket Q.Shield Down water resistant 800-fill down Two front handwarmer pockets Dual hem drawcords seal in warmth Low profile, insulated hood Jacket stows in pocket The SPECS Average Weight: 13 oz / 378 g Center Back Length: 28in. / 71 cm Body: New Nitrous Shell 30D Ripstop (100% nylon) Insulation: Q.Shield Down 800-fill down

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version