Mountain Hardwear Phantasia 15

I bought this bag after realizing I was a cold sleeper…

Summary

I bought this bag after realizing I was a cold sleeper even in the summer. I wanted something to keep me warm all year out in the wilderness. I definitely found it with this bag! Lightweight, soft, 850 down fill, easy zippers, and great hood.

Pros

• Warmth
  • packs down super small!
  • Great fitting draft collar
  • Lofts quickly after being removed from stuff sack
  • Great for backpacking

Cons

• None
  • Only one color, purple

image.jpg
Bag comes with storage sack seen here.

image.jpg
Stuff sack comes with the bag as seen here.

image.jpg
Puffs up quickly even after being compressed for a while.

image.jpg

Very lofty bag, so puffy and soft!

image.jpg

Kept me warm up in Summerland.

I love this bag! Super soft and warm and zippers actually are a breeze to get in and out of bag in the middle of the night. Great hood, actually fits my head like it should. Nice stowaway pocket for phone or MP3 or tissues. Packs down small. I won't need any other bag!

I am 5'2" and I bought the Regular length bag and I have plenty of room in this bag. The length inside is 70".

I used this bag in temperatures of 30°F and above so far.

Specs:

• Temperature rating is 15°F/-14°C
  • Weight is 2 pounds
  • Shape: women's performance mummy cut
  • Insulation: Q Shield Down 850-Fill
  • Bag Shell- Filament Weave 10D
  • Bag Fill Type- DOWN
  • Retail Price $500
  • This bag has advanced treatment applied that resists heat robbing moisture and retains maximum loft in damp conditions.

This bag sells as an Alpine Climbing bag.

For what temp range would you recommend this bag, Elizabeth?

Elizabeth McCoy

Oh sorry forgot to put that in my review. It's a 15 degree bag but I haven't been in 15 degree temps with it yet. The lowest was 30 degrees and I was toasty! I'm a cold sleeper so I don't know if this would keep me toasty at 15 degrees. Honestly I never plan on using this bag for temperatures that low because I get cold easily. If I planned a trip where the temperature was going to be 15, I would buy a 0 degree bag or lower. My biggest fear in the backcountry is hypothermia. It can happen quickly even when you think you have enough gear. I woke up shivering one time in the middle of the night with a cheap cold sleeping bag and I was shaking uncontrollably! Teeth chattering and I literally had to get up and get dressed and put all my layers on and went outside my tent and did jumping jacks to warm up. I boiled a pot of water drank 2 cups of tea and I finally started feeling warm so I packed up camp and headed for the trail at 0400 in the morning. I never want to feel that cold again. This bag is the first bag that I actually felt too warm in on a couple occasions, and I'd rather be too warm than freezing.

Elizabeth McCoy

Added some Specs about the bag to my review.

Thanks, Elizabeth! I'm also a cold sleeper. I think it's so important to understand that we all have different thermostats, so we may need to be more diligent about extra layers, warm food, etc than others.

Mountain Hardwear Phantasia 15

The Mountain Hardwear Phantasia 15 is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen March 11, 2016 at Mountain Hardwear.