Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45°

Shoulder Girth 58 in / 147 cm 60 in / 152 cm 62 in / 157 cm
Hip Girth 55 in / 140 cm 56 in / 142 cm 58 in / 147 cm
Foot Girth 37 in / 94 cm 38 in / 97 cm 40 in / 102 cm
Price $240.00 USD $250.00 USD $260.00 USD

Awesome bag. No complaints. This bag is awesome. It…

Summary

Awesome bag. No complaints.

Pros

• Ultralight
  • Warm
  • Well constructed

This bag is awesome. It stuffs down to a little larger than a Nalgene without compression straps, I'm sure it could go smaller with a compression sack, but it would be hard as a rock and harder to pack. At just over a pound, this thing has an awesome warmth to weight ratio.

Comfort rated to 32° for men, I found this to be accurate. I slept in boxers and a t-shirt in temperatures that dipped into the low 30's and was comfortably warm. I haven't had a chance to use the bag in warmer temperatures, which is what I actually bought it for.

Full length zipper will be nice, adds quilt ability for warm weather.

I can't think of anything bad to say about this bag.  Some loops for pad straps would be nice, but would add weight.

Used this as my summer bag for my 2012 Appalachian…

Summary

Used this as my summer bag for my 2012 Appalachian Trail thru-hike. Worked wonderfully, kept my warm when it needed to and cool on those 80+ degree nights in the middle of nowhere.

Pros

My summer bag was the Mountain Hardwear 45° Long. Imagine carrying a propane tank strapped to your back for a few months, and then all of a sudden switching it out for a golf ball. That’s how I felt rolling into Pearisburg and getting this bad boy.

It packs down tiny, weighs nothing, and was absolutely perfect for the miserable heat of the 2012 summer (which by the way, had some of the hottest temps on record for each state I went through). I don’t really have anything to compare it to as this was the only bag of its kind that I used, but man… love this thing.

The worst part about it was having to switch back to the Marmot Sawtooth in Hanover.