Mountain Hardwear Phantom Anorak

What can I say, I like this wind-shell. It is extremely…

What can I say, I like this wind-shell. It is extremely lightweight yet keeps you warm in cool windy conditions. Unfortunately the first time I took this jacket out while climbing I managed to fall and I ripped the right sleeve of this jacket. I was descending an icy part after just summiting a peak and starting sliding down the ice while going over several large rocks.

I am impressed with the durability of this jacket for the weight of it. Although the fall that I took severely cut and bruised my arm the jacket was only subjected to 2 dime-size rips that were easily repaired by adhesive rip-stop fabric. I was really sad that I managed to rip my jacket on the first outing with it but I'm very impressed with its performance. I think this is a good piece of climbing gear that will be very versatile. I descended almost the entire mountain with it and didn't start to heat up until I was nearly back at the trailhead at much lower elevation. I think the key is that it keeps you warm and protected from the wind yet doesn't insulate so it doesn't cause you to heat up. When you are moving you don't really need insulation you just need to keep the wind at bay.

This piece is probably the best and most versatile clothing item I have purchased for mountaineering thus far. For most conditions I will be fine with just this jacket combined with different levels of insulation underneath. I thought that this jacket would be fragile based on the thickness of the material but let me tell you it will hold up to some pretty solid abuse. I was expecting this jacket to be torn to shreds after the 20ft tumble down a rocky and icy mountain slope. It held up quite well and I'm impressed. This jacket ways just a little over 3oz. and stuffs down to the size of a softball. It will always be in my pack.

So light it's funny--3 oz. Windproof, breathable,…

Fabric: Nylon ripstop, DWR treated

So light it's funny--3 oz. Windproof, breathable, pretty tough too. I have the green one. It even looks pretty decent after it's been in a wad. It has a very comfortable fleece-lined collar. It's pretty waterproof too, though not completely. The material is thin but seems very tough, probably not good in thorns. No lining, no frills, no handpockets, just a chest pocket. It does have a waist cord too. For 3 oz it will always be in my pack.

Ultra lightweight weather protection and breathability is yours with the Mountain Hardwear Phantom Anorak.

- Mountain Gear

Superlight and ultra-compressible, Mountain Hardwear's windproof Phantom weighs an incredible 4 ounces! Stow it in your pack or maybe a pant cargo pocket for those summertime mountain hikes when the wind picks up. 15-denier high-tenacity nylon weighs only 0.95 ounce per square yard. Feather light yet very tear resistant. Deep front zip. One-handed hem draw cord. Zip chest pocket. Brushed mesh-lined collar.

- EMS

Superlight, ultra compressible, windproof shell weighs only 3 ounces.

- Altrec Outdoors

This Mountain Hardwear pullover will give you heavyweight wind protection in a featherweight, easy-to-stow package. Deep (14

- Sierra Trading Post

This high-tech wind shell weighs in at a mere 3 ounces, is breathable and resists light rain. It's made from super-light, high-tenacity ripstop nylon with an acrylic inner coating and a DWR (Durable Water Resistant) finish. Polyester mesh neck lining absorbs perspiration and dries quickly. Fourteen-inch front zipper allows ventilation control. Zippered chest pocket can hold small essentials. Features elastic cuffs and one-handed hem drawcord.

Mountain Hardwear Men's Phantom Anorak

The Men's Phantom Anorak has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Men's Phantom Anorak is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen January 15, 2013 at Mountain Gear.

If you're looking for a new wind shirt, check out the best reviewed current models.