Mountain Hardwear Phantom Jacket

Warm, cozy, one of my favorite pieces of gear. I bought…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: $150 =/- via prodeal

Summary

Warm, cozy, one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Pros

• Warm
  • Compressable

Cons

• Wish it had a hood

I bought the women's Phantom Jacket last winter because I needed a beefier insulated jacket for my winter backpacking trips.  I am always in search of items that are not only of excellent quality, but also don't unnecessarily compromise space or weight in my pack.

This jacket compresses very well, and is super light!  That being said, it's amazingly warm. I have easily taken this jacket down to 0 degree temperatures, with a mid and base layer and been comfortable.

While the collar on the jacket is pretty tall, and very soft on the inside, I do, however, wish this jacket had a hood. It seems to be difficult to find the same gear for women that is available for men. Often I can get away with men's cut clothing, but jackets are sometimes tricky because I have hips.

At the time I bought the jacket, it came closest to the warmth to weight to compressability ratio that I could get from Mountain Hardwear, and I ended up sacrificing the hood component. My understanding is they now offer jackets more similar, with a hood, which I may end up researching to add to my collection :)

I have not had any problems with the material of the jacket tearing, though I do not tend to be hiking when I'm wearing it (it would be way to warm!). I do however have one seam that started to come undone between one of the baffles.

Fun note: the jacket comes with its own stuff sack, which is sometimes useful. Also, the left pocket is a normal size, but the right pocket is HUGE. Runs almost the entire vertical chest length of the jacket. So if you need to carry anything longer (map, snacks, water?) you could easily fit it into that pocket. There is also a vertically zippered chest pocket.

I bought the Medium in the red (not sure the exact name of the color), and that color is gorgeous. Fit is perfect for me.  5'-8", 150 pounds, size 10 hips.

Hi ashnicole. You're right that MH does offer a Hooded Phantom Jacket now, in men's and women's: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/hooded-phantom-jacket/

1 year ago

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Phantom Jacket versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 9 reviews for other versions of the Phantom Jacket. Read all reviews »

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Women's Phantom Jacket, please share your experience.