Mountain Hardwear Phantom Jacket

Weight 14.4 oz / 409 g
Center Back Length 26 in / 66 cm
Body Fabric Lunar Ripstop AXF™
Insulation 800-Fill Goose Down

Warm, cozy, one of my favorite pieces of gear. I bought…

Source: bought via a "pro deal"
Price Paid: $150 =/- via prodeal

Summary

Warm, cozy, one of my favorite pieces of gear.

Pros

• Warm
  • Compressable

Cons

• Wish it had a hood

I bought the women's Phantom Jacket last winter because I needed a beefier insulated jacket for my winter backpacking trips.  I am always in search of items that are not only of excellent quality, but also don't unnecessarily compromise space or weight in my pack.

This jacket compresses very well, and is super light!  That being said, it's amazingly warm. I have easily taken this jacket down to 0 degree temperatures, with a mid and base layer and been comfortable.

While the collar on the jacket is pretty tall, and very soft on the inside, I do, however, wish this jacket had a hood. It seems to be difficult to find the same gear for women that is available for men. Often I can get away with men's cut clothing, but jackets are sometimes tricky because I have hips.

At the time I bought the jacket, it came closest to the warmth to weight to compressability ratio that I could get from Mountain Hardwear, and I ended up sacrificing the hood component. My understanding is they now offer jackets more similar, with a hood, which I may end up researching to add to my collection :)

I have not had any problems with the material of the jacket tearing, though I do not tend to be hiking when I'm wearing it (it would be way to warm!). I do however have one seam that started to come undone between one of the baffles.

Fun note: the jacket comes with its own stuff sack, which is sometimes useful. Also, the left pocket is a normal size, but the right pocket is HUGE. Runs almost the entire vertical chest length of the jacket. So if you need to carry anything longer (map, snacks, water?) you could easily fit it into that pocket. There is also a vertically zippered chest pocket.

I bought the Medium in the red (not sure the exact name of the color), and that color is gorgeous. Fit is perfect for me.  5'-8", 150 pounds, size 10 hips.

Hi ashnicole. You're right that MH does offer a Hooded Phantom Jacket now, in men's and women's: http://www.trailspace.com/gear/mountain-hardwear/hooded-phantom-jacket/

rated 4.50 of 5 stars All Phantom Jacket versions

In addition to the 1 women's review above, there are 9 reviews for other versions of the Phantom Jacket. Read all reviews »

Visit Mountain Hardwear's Phantom Jacket page.

The Mountain Hardwear Phantom Jacket uses 800-fill goose down to provide lightweight, but optimal, warmth. Weighing less than a pound, and able to compress down to almost nothing, this jacket is a must-have for cold weather and backcountry adventures. Highest quality 800-fill goose down is lightweight and compressible Box quilt construction for superior loft and warmth Lots of pockets for storage options Adjustable Velcro(R) cuffs and one-handed hem drawcords for quick fit adjustments AXF Super DWR finish repels water 5 times longer than standard DWRs

- OMCgear

Description of Mountain Hardwear Phantom Jacket - WomensIn 1993, a small group of people who had weathered years in the outdoor industry decided to get together and form Mountain Hardwear. In addition to working in the outdoor industry, the Mountain Hardwear founders were avid outdoors people themselves Mountain Hardwear has always focused on bringing radical thinking to the gear they make. Thats why they have a section in our website that talks about the innovation theyve built into their products. With 800-fill goose down and weighing only 14 ounces, the Phantom combines superior warmth and lightweight compressibility for cold weather, superlight expeditions.FeaturesHighest quality 800-fill goose down is lightweight and compressibleBox quilt construction for superior loft and warmthLots of pockets for storage optionsAdjustable Velcro cuffs and one-handed hem drawcords for quick fit adjustmentsAXF Super DWR finish repels water 5 times longer than standard DWRsImported

- US Outdoor Store

With 800-fill goose down and weighing only 13 ounces, the Phantom combines superior warmth and lightweight compressibility for cold weather, superlight expeditions.

- GearX.com

With 800-fill goose down and weighing only 14 ounces, the Mountain Hardwear Phantom Jacket combines superior warmth and lightweight compressibility for cold weather, superlight expeditions.

- CampSaver.com