Mountain Hardwear Pinole 20°

Shoulder Girth 62 in / 157 cm 64 in / 163 cm
Hip Girth 58 in / 147 cm 60 in / 152 cm
Foot Girth 38 in / 97 cm 40 in / 102 cm
Price $85.00 USD $95.00 USD

Great bag for the budget backpacker. Compresses well…

Summary

Great bag for the budget backpacker. Compresses well for a 20deg synthetic, and keeps me warm down to rated temp!

Pros

• Honest temp rating
  • Great weight for the price

Cons

• Occasional zipper sticking
  • Not as compressible as down but still compressible

My son and I needed a couple of packable, cold weather bags for backpacking with his Scout Troop.  Considering budgeting for outfitting us both with packs, bags, sleeping pads, and miscellaneous gear, we were looking at less expensive bags. Throw in that we're in the Southeast, where humidity and rain are always in the possibilities, down bags didn't make sense, either.

I put some research into synthetic bags in the 20-30deg range, and narrowed my choices down to three or four bags. I found the Pinhole on sale and that sealed the deal. We bought ours a couple of years ago, so they're the grey/black/yellow color scheme and have Thermic MX insulation. Mountain Hardwear shows the newer version to have Thermal.Q insulation now. I don't know what the difference is.

The bags are compressible down to about 7x12" or so. Not small, but not overly large, either. They re-loft in the tent nicely if you shake them out a bit and toss them in. It takes about the same amount of time it takes our self-inflating pads to inflate, so it all works out well. They're comfortable inside, and ours still look new after close to 50 nights over the past two years, rain or shine, in the field.

Just about the only complaint I have — and I've had this same complaint with every sleeping bag I've ever owned — is the zipper will sometimes get hung on the fabric if you get in a hurry zipping or unzipping. I've never had an instance where it won't just come loose with a gentle tug on the fabric, though, so it's no big deal.

How do they perform? We've slept comfortably in temps from the mid-40s down to just below the temp rating on the bag. Our sleeping pads have an R-value of about 3.5. When it's not too cold out, we sleep in shorts and t-shirts. When it's cold, we sleep in a base layer, wool socks, and a fleece skull cap.

Two nights that stand out are one during a cold rain, with temps bottoming at 24deg, and winds 10-15mph, with gusts to 30mph, and another with no wind, no rain, but a low of 18deg. Both nights the bags kept us warm and toasty, to the point we did not want to crawl out in the morning!

Are there lighter bags? Sure. Some synthetics, and a bunch of down bags are lighter, but at less than 3.5 lbs for the long bag I carry, these are very packable. You'd have to double or even triple your budget to get into a synthetic with a 20deg rating any lighter, and you'd be at least double and potentially a lot higher, to get into a down bag similarly rated and lighter weight.

I can highly recommend these bags for the budget backpacker or someone just starting out and not sure they want to drop $700-1000 on gear to try the sport. This bag, a good pad, and a base layer, and you'll be toasty warm down below freezing.

Thanks for sharing this helpful review, Whitney. Welcome to Trailspace!

3.3lbs, synthetic, inexpensive, roomy and well made.

Summary

3.3lbs, synthetic, inexpensive, roomy and well made. For the price and the specs, it's a bargain!

Pros

• Roomy for big shouldered people
  • Price-point was exceptional
  • Stuff-sack has fleece lining for use as a pillow

Cons

• 3.3lbs is not ultra-light

Okay, so I don't use this bag as much since transitioning into a hammock, but for car or tent camping it was great. It's light enough to hike with, but it's heavier then I want in an ultralight setup.

I've had it in 30ish weather and was fine with it and a Thermarest Scout pad (as long as I stayed on the pad). In warmer weather it was a bit too hot (50-65F).

The extra weight comes from being made with synthetics instead of down, and for the extra room in the knees and the shoulders for comfort. For me, the extra bit of weight was worth the comfort, the lower hassle of making sure it stayed completely dry, and for the $250+ savings in my pocket book.

I've heard reviews on people having problems zipping the fabric into the zippers. I have had no such problems, mainly because I'm an adult who buys his own gear and thus maintains it. anyone who owns light-weight gear knows that you need to take care operating and storing it, the same holds true with this. Operate the zipper as intended (don't spread your arms and let the zipper open that way) just use the zipper correctly and not too fast and it works flawlessly!

I had no condensation issues with the bag, and it lofted well without having to do my normal "Down-Dance".

All in all a great entry-level bag that is a great price.

Budget friendly, well-proportioned, warm bag. I've…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Budget friendly, well-proportioned, warm bag.

Pros

• warmth
  • finish
  • price
  • cut of the bag

Cons

• weight
  • bulky
  • zipper can snag
  • no footbox vent

I've used my Pinole (long) for about 4 outings now. I have never tested it in cold weather.

The things I like about it are the cut of the bag, the price, the feel and appearance, and the warmth. It has a slightly more generous mummy shape and I have never had a mummy bag before. I thought it was quite comfortable. The footbox is trapezoidal in shape and allowed my feet to rest naturally. I like the colors and the textures of this bag. It's got a fairly tough outer shell and a silky smooth lining on the inside.

The price is what really drew me in. Other sites tend to rate this as a good budget friendly bag.

I think I paid 70 bucks for mine on geartrade.com.

It is a bulky bag and you would want to spend money on a compression sack for this beast. It is also in the 2-3 lbs range, sorry I know that is vague. The zipper does snag fairly easily. I haven't been frustrated by this. I just take my time and it seems okay.

Pretty good entry level sleeping bag. If you can get…

Summary

Pretty good entry level sleeping bag. If you can get it on sale it's a great deal.

Pros

• Great price for the quality
  • Quite warm, even when damp

Cons

• Awful cheap zipper
  • A little bulky

Actual bag is quite nice, hood fits well around my face. I purchased the Long version. No cold spots or drafts.

The bag is slightly bulky if packed into the stuff sack it's shipped with. Consider putting it in a smaller compression sack.

Again, the zipper is awfully cheap. I don't anticipate it breaking, but it catches on the fabric a lot.

This bag is very comfortable it is a mummy style bag…

This bag is very comfortable it is a mummy style bag that lets you move around and the footbox lets you lay naturally. It has a drawstring at the head that tightens closer to your head and keeps your head warmer. It is a synthetic bag and was in Backpacker magazine in 2010.