Mountain Hardwear Pinole 20°

3.3lbs, synthetic, inexpensive, roomy and well made.

Summary

3.3lbs, synthetic, inexpensive, roomy and well made. For the price and the specs, it's a bargain!

Pros

• Roomy for big shouldered people
  • Price-point was exceptional
  • Stuff-sack has fleece lining for use as a pillow

Cons

• 3.3lbs is not ultra-light

Okay, so I don't use this bag as much since transitioning into a hammock, but for car or tent camping it was great. It's light enough to hike with, but it's heavier then I want in an ultralight setup.

I've had it in 30ish weather and was fine with it and a Thermarest Scout pad (as long as I stayed on the pad). In warmer weather it was a bit too hot (50-65F).

The extra weight comes from being made with synthetics instead of down, and for the extra room in the knees and the shoulders for comfort. For me, the extra bit of weight was worth the comfort, the lower hassle of making sure it stayed completely dry, and for the $250+ savings in my pocket book.

I've heard reviews on people having problems zipping the fabric into the zippers. I have had no such problems, mainly because I'm an adult who buys his own gear and thus maintains it. anyone who owns light-weight gear knows that you need to take care operating and storing it, the same holds true with this. Operate the zipper as intended (don't spread your arms and let the zipper open that way) just use the zipper correctly and not too fast and it works flawlessly!

I had no condensation issues with the bag, and it lofted well without having to do my normal "Down-Dance".

All in all a great entry-level bag that is a great price.

Budget friendly, well-proportioned, warm bag. I've…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Budget friendly, well-proportioned, warm bag.

Pros

• warmth
  • finish
  • price
  • cut of the bag

Cons

• weight
  • bulky
  • zipper can snag
  • no footbox vent

I've used my Pinole (long) for about 4 outings now. I have never tested it in cold weather.

The things I like about it are the cut of the bag, the price, the feel and appearance, and the warmth. It has a slightly more generous mummy shape and I have never had a mummy bag before. I thought it was quite comfortable. The footbox is trapezoidal in shape and allowed my feet to rest naturally. I like the colors and the textures of this bag. It's got a fairly tough outer shell and a silky smooth lining on the inside.

The price is what really drew me in. Other sites tend to rate this as a good budget friendly bag.

I think I paid 70 bucks for mine on geartrade.com.

It is a bulky bag and you would want to spend money on a compression sack for this beast. It is also in the 2-3 lbs range, sorry I know that is vague. The zipper does snag fairly easily. I haven't been frustrated by this. I just take my time and it seems okay.

Pretty good entry level sleeping bag. If you can get…

Summary

Pretty good entry level sleeping bag. If you can get it on sale it's a great deal.

Pros

• Great price for the quality
  • Quite warm, even when damp

Cons

• Awful cheap zipper
  • A little bulky

Actual bag is quite nice, hood fits well around my face. I purchased the Long version. No cold spots or drafts.

The bag is slightly bulky if packed into the stuff sack it's shipped with. Consider putting it in a smaller compression sack.

Again, the zipper is awfully cheap. I don't anticipate it breaking, but it catches on the fabric a lot.

This bag is very comfortable it is a mummy style bag…

This bag is very comfortable it is a mummy style bag that lets you move around and the footbox lets you lay naturally. It has a drawstring at the head that tightens closer to your head and keeps your head warmer. It is a synthetic bag and was in Backpacker magazine in 2010.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Pinole 20°, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Pinole 20°