Mountain Hardwear Solitude

I bought this pack online at Moosejaw after testing…

I bought this pack online at Moosejaw after testing in a local outfitter, which isn't really much of a test. I took it on a short weekend hike, and it performed well, but was unnecessary due to the amount of gear I needed.

Then I took it on a 9-day extreme backcountry trip in Jasper National Park and Mt. Robson Provincial Park. I needed to carry plenty of gear, and this pack provided pleanty of room. It was extremely comfortable compared to packs I have used in the past, and it sat almost perfectly on my hips (I say almost because it did cut off circulation a bit when I had 50 lbs in it). The pack remained comfortable on the route I took (which was no trail, and very rough hiking). The kangaroo pouch was perfect for storing quick access gear. The velcro seems to hold very well, and I really can't see it wearing for a long time. The load adjuster is so easy to deal with. Much easier than dealing with standard strap type load adjusters.

The design is completely different than anything I have seen before, and it seems as though a lot of though went into it because it work. I am extremely happy with the purchase. I also took the pack on the Wonderland Trail in Mt. Rainier NP, and it was perfect for that trail as well. I would not recommend any other pack for multi-day backcountry treks. I wish I could use it for backcountry skiing as well, but it would be ridiculous as it is far too big for that unless I am on a multi day snowshoe/ski trip. Kudos to Mountain Hardwear. I thought they would go downhill when they merged with Columbia, but their gear still seems to be very well made.

Mike Tufaro

I love this pack. I was looking for a pack to replace…

Design: Top loading internal
Size: Large
Max. Load Carried: 50 pounds
Height of Owner: 5'11"

I love this pack. I was looking for a pack to replace my aging Lowe Alpine when I found out about the new Exodus packs. This is quite possibly the last pack I will every buy.

To test, I loaded it up to 50 pounds (way more than one would normally carry) and headed out for a 27 mile, 3 day, 2 night trek. I was completely blown away by the packs ability to handle the load and do so comfortably. This is by far the most comfortable, best handling pack I have had. And thank God, it took a lot for me to swallow 400 bones for a pack. But I figure it's a good deal if I never have to buy one again.

I would have given it 5 stars but set up of the frame is a complete PITA. It takes some patience and a friend's help to get everything adjusted correctly. But once done, off you go and thankful your back and hips will be.

I also am wary about the velco that holds the adjustments in place. I could see this wearing out eventually and causing a lot of problems with the adjustments. Also, some of the frame pieces seem cheaply made, even if they are a small tiny part they appear to be critical. If broken, the system will no longer be functional.

All that being said, Mountain Hardwear does cover the pack with a lifetime warranty, so if any problems do creep up, they should be covered. Only time and miles will tell just how sturdy and durable this pack is.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Solitude, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Solitude

The Solitude has been discontinued.

The Mountain Hardwear Solitude is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen February 1, 2010 at Backcountry Outlet.

If you're looking for a new external frame backpack, check out the best reviewed current models.