Mountain Hardwear Spectre SL 20°

I saw this on Sierra Trading Post and had an extra…

I saw this on Sierra Trading Post and had an extra 35% off, so I got it for an incredible price and couldn't pass it up. Construction of the bag is great — seems to be extremely durable.

The 800 fill down makes this bag light and warm. I feel like I have more than enough room in the footbox to stash some items I wouldn't want to leave out (I'm 5'9"). Comes with a stuff sack, which is nice — compresses to about 10x8".

All in all — great bag.

This bag ROCKS!! BUY THIS BAG!! It stuffs damn small…

Fill: 800 down.
Temperature Rating: 20 degrees
Weight: 2.5 lbs.

This bag ROCKS!! BUY THIS BAG!! It stuffs damn small and it's light. And POOF, it lofts quite well. I own a North Face Tundra minus 20 polarguard delta insulation bag and the Mountain Hardwear Spectre SL bag. The MH bag is warmer as a 20 degree bag. The loft is amazing and the bag is waterproof.

I tested this bag for five nights at 11,000 feet in Colorado in Oct. 2004 and the night temps were approx. 15-25 degrees. I did have a MH pad and NFace 4-season tent to repel ground cold and wind. With that said I slept in thermax long underwear and a fleece top and I had to vent to get some cooler air. The zipper zips from top or bottom and there is a nice overflap that can get caught but it is necessary for total waterproofness in the body of this bag. I also spent some time under the stars and the morning dew became intense. This bag repelled all moisture with no problems or issues.

Overall this bag is awesome in features and its conservatively rated, but not by much. But one could either wear some down pj's or use a down liner and easily extend the range of this bag down to zero degrees. It's hard to view bags on the net but trust me when I say that this bag is awesome looking and the envy of my outdoor buddies.

This bag is damn good.The loft is awesome (800 fill…

Fill: 800 fill down
Temperature Rating: 20 F or -7 C
Weight: 2.5 lbs
Price Paid: $240 Canadian (got lucky)

This bag is damn good.The loft is awesome (800 fill goose down) considering it is composed of Conduit SL waterproof material. There are about 3 stitches in total that are taped of course, the rest is all "welded" technology at work. Makes it lighter and less susceptible to water penetration.

It has a very nice, heavy duty zipper flap too, that seals out water. If you buy this bag you won't even need a bivy sack. I have yet to try and use it as a bivy sack but I will :).

The only thing I would like to see changed is that I would add a glow-in-the-dark zipper pull, and perhaps a compression stuff sack with it ... but on the other hand no good sleeping bag comes with a compression sack.

Conclusion: if you can afford it, buy it. I got lucky and scored mine for only $240 canadian brand new.

- Happy Camping.

This bag is awesome! Worth every penny, I have used…

Fill: 800 fill down
Temperature Rating: 20 F
Weight: 2.8 pounds

This bag is awesome! Worth every penny, I have used it outside in heavy dew and frost and stayed warm and dry. Backpacker magazine said it best, "this is not just a bag - it's a shelter". With 800 fill it is nice and cozy. The bag now comes with a compression bag, but it only has three straps so it compresses in to the shape of a banana.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Spectre SL 20°, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Spectre SL 20°