Mountain Hardwear Tempo Windstopper Jacket

Excellent mid-weight layer in winter hiking; wicking…

Summary

Excellent mid-weight layer in winter hiking; wicking sweat perfectly and stopping wind well! Sizing is "athletic" (read small) and sleeves are rather long.

Pros

• Excellent mid-weight layer for 4-season hiking
  • Wicks away sweat well
  • Nice large front pockets

Cons

• Sizing runs small
  • Sleeves are long

It served as an excellent mid-weight layer in my winter hike the other day. It was snowing and windy when we headed out on the mountain. I think it was about 20-ish when we started.

I started off a bit chilly, as I didn't have my usual fleece on, but knew once I started to hike I would be too hot with a fleece. This jacket was an excellent mid-weight layer, and stopped the wind from getting all the way to my base layer. It wicked the sweat off beautifully and my outer shell was pretty soaked when we got to the car.

No, I don't sweat THAT much. I just don't have the best outer shell. This piece is a step in the right direction. I imagine I will be using it quite a bit in the early spring and maybe summer hikes.

I read several reviews of this jacket before purchasing it as a Barn Burner deal on Sierra Trading. The "athletic" fit in layman's terms means it will run small for most people. I purchased an XL and it fits like a large should.

The sleeves are long...overly long, I think. They should have those thumb holes in them for being that long.  The collar is long, which is nice. It protects the neck from wind and would compliment a neck gaiter or scarf very well.

The pockets are nice and large. I have a tendency to stuff my pockets full of spare hats and gloves on our winter hikes and these held all my spares with room to spare. The zippers are a bit small, for the jacket and when the pockets are that full, they're not so easy to zip with one hand. The main zipper is the same size, but it doesn't feel flimsy for its size.

The back has a nice tail. I LOVED this! This is my first jacket with one and will make sure to find others with an extended back. It was a nice length for when I sat on the cold rock at the top of the summit, my butt didn't get too cold.  :)

CLOSEOUTS . Keep up your tempo and beat the wind with the Mountain Hardwear Tempo Windstopper(R) jacket. Available Colors: BLACK/BLACK, GRASSHOPPER/CYPRESS, BLUE RIVER/POLAR BLUE. Sizes: XS, S, M, L, XL.

- Sierra Trading Post

Don't let gusty winds and drizzles prevent you from pursuing your outdoor pastimes - protect yourself in Mountain Hardwear's windproof Tempo WINDSTOPPER Jacket. The nastiest gusts don't get past the WINDSTOPPER Tempest fabric that completely blocks wind and even a few sprinkles aren't a problem - the fabric provides a touch of water resistance to protect you from the occasional rain shower.

- Mountain Gear

On Sale. Free Shipping. Mountain Hardwear Women's Tempo Windstopper Jacket (Fall 2009) Women's Tempo Windstopper Jacket by Mountain Hardwear Features: 100% windproof, water resistant Windproof and water-resistant Two front zip handwarmer pockets Articulated sleeves and stretch hem and cuffs for mobility One handed hem drawcords for quick fit adjustments Micro-chamois lined collar prevents zipper chafe

Beat the wind chill: 100% windproof, water resistant. Athletic fit for on-mountain moves.

- Altrec Outdoors

The Tempo Windstopper Jacket by Mountain Hardwear is a 100% windproof softshell jacket that offers incredible protection from nature's heat zapping element, while supplying a water resistant shell. Topping out on a ridge in the Wind River Range is windy, cold and sometimes snowing or raining, and what better to have than your Tempo jacket to keep core heat inside allowing you to stay warm. This jacket has a three-part laminate - the breathable/windproof GORETEX membrane is sandwiched between a soft durable face fabric and a moisture moving lining. The Tempo Windstopper is the perfect insulation layer under a shell or used alone as an outer layer.

- RockCreek