Mountain Hardwear Thermostatic Jacket - Men's

Very light mid-layer jacket for active outdoors use.

Price Paid: $85 (discount)

Summary

Very light mid-layer jacket for active outdoors use. Mountain Hardwear recommends it for climbing and hiking. Can also be used as a standalone jacket, provided the conditions permit and you have a good base layer. I bought it for snowshoeing and hiking.

Pros

• Light
  • Easy to stow/store
  • Great warmth
  • Waterproof
  • Ample fit to layer underneath adequately

Cons

• Durability of the outer
  • Only two pockets (new models have a breast pocket)

Fit & Comfort: The fit is standard. I'm 5'9" and about 190 pounds and a large allows me to wear a fleece underneath. I like the more ample fit. It's a very, very comfy jacket. If in doubt, I would err on getting a smaller size if sleeve size permits, especially if you don't plan on having two layers underneath it or if you plan on using it strictly as a mid-layer under a hardshell.

Adjustability: There's a cord to adjust the waist. No cuff adjustement, but there's a loose elastic band that insures the wind and snow don't get in there.

Water resistance: Will not resist heavy rain or wet snow, but will hold its own in moderate snow fall.

Breathability: Breathes very well and stays warm.

Warmth: This is a real surprise for me. I bought it to use under a windbreaker or insulated hardshell for snowshoeing or hiking and I've found that it is really warm on its own with adequate layering. I was unzipping the jacket on a cloudy, -15°C day of snowshoeing with only a 200g merino base layer underneath.

Layering: This is this jacket's forte since it is so thin and light.

Abrasion: The outer shell may not resist repeated abrasive force, although I haven't had the jacket long enough to notice any tearing or scuffs due to branches, rocks, etc.

Features: Stores in its own pocket for easy stow. I'm planning on getting a second one and just carrying it with me in my pack if I want to change jackets during the day or at night while at camp.

Construction & Durability: Well made, but care has to be taken with it since it is a thin and lightweight piece of equipment.

Conditions: I have bought this jacket at the beginning of winter and have worn if for all my snowshoeing, hiking or general outdoor use (casual walks, groceries, etc.). I have used it as a standalone during medium to high intensity activity and as a mid-layer for casual wear. I haven't had the chance to test it as a standalone during autumn or spring, but I plan to.

Thanks for the helpful review, Marc.

I'm interested in how much it weighs?

Marc Tremblay

The jacket weights around 9 oz.

Nice and light. Thank you!