Mountain Hardwear Trango 2

This is a really well built tent, very sturdy, but…

Summary

This is a really well built tent, very sturdy, but really not lightweight as it's not intended to be for backpacking and much less for expedition. I use as a basecamp shelter once it's very really roomy and has two vestibules.

Pros

• Sturdy
  • Easy to set
  • Roomy
  • Full of pockets
  • Storm proof
  • Transparent windows
  • Huge vestibule
  • Warm inside

Cons

• Heavy as hell
  • Some condesation if all doors closed (normal)

For the purpose it has been designed this tent is amazingly perfect. It's really not meant to be a carry around tent so it's really heavy and bulky. I am a rock climber and geologist so I spend a lot of time outside. I use the Trango as a home shelter on long trips where I will be living on a camping and bivouacking during climbing and geological mapping missions.

It's good for winter once it keeps the cold outside, good for summer once the front and back doors allow air to flow through it, besides it has a top window that one can use to control temperature and condensation. It has behaved really well on strong winds once the frame structure makes it really stable and the huge vestibule allows to cook inside when the storm is outside.

It's a heavy tent because the materials and structure are meant to be good for a home shelter and to last long, really not for a backpacking and much less for an expedition. I sometimes use a lighter tent for these purposes or do bivacs with a goretex bivy sac.

Once set the floor is a few inches higher at the extremities so that no water gets inside. It's 100% waterproof (thanks to the heavy materials). If you set it right its really easy to make it very well stretched (a good tip for a well set tent is to stretch it well).

I like very, very much the many mesh pockets inside. It keeps home organised. And it's sooo roomy it can fit me, all my trad climbing gear and a gilrfriend ;) very comfortably even being a 2-person tent.

I really recommend this tent for those wanting a home base shelter.

A great roomy, 2-person tent that stays warm and dry.

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

A great roomy, 2-person tent that stays warm and dry. It's lightweight enough that it could be taken on shorter backpacking trips yet it has plenty of space to kept your gear in. This tent has kept me very warm in 10 degree weather. It's also very easy to assemble.

Pros

• Stays very warm
  • Plenty of space for gear

Cons

• Too hot in warmer weather
  • Not enough ventilation

This is a great cold weather tent that is easy to put up and take down. It's fairly lightweight and would be good to bring on moderate backpacking trips if you can split the weight with a partner. I took it into the Grand Canyon, left the stakes and fly, and split the weight with my partner.

I like that it comes with a tarp to put underneath but the rain fly confuses me so I've never used it other than to quickly throw it over top during sudden rain showers which worked great. The tent itself holds up well in light to moderate rain but the rain fly is definitely needed for heavier or extended rain storms. Parts of it leaked. The bottom also got very wet even with the included tarp. I found pools of water during one trip in the Olympics but it was a long rainstorm and I didnt have the fly on. Even though I've never correctly used the fly, I ALWAYS bring it. It's giant so I can use it as an extra tarp underneath (the tent comes with a thinner tarp) or to cover my gear or firewood at night. Very versatile.

It was much too hot for the Grand Canyon and even the direct morning sun in the Pacific Northwest caused me to wake up early in a sweat! Aside from the two 'doors' on either end, the only other ventilation is a small slit at the top.

Material and design is high quality. It fits two people comfortably with plenty of room for gear. I've even slept 3 people in it in a pinch. It also did fairly well in rain but there were some leaks during long or heavy storms.

Weatherproof, bombproof, waterproof, windproof, two…

Summary

Weatherproof, bombproof, waterproof, windproof, two vestibules, many storage options, and adequate ventilation make this tent hard to top. What else could you ask for?

Pros

• Stable/sturdy
  • Completely weatherproof
  • Two vestibules
  • Lots of pockets/storage options
  • Adequate ventilation

Cons

• Weight

There is a reason this is one of the most highly-rated and venerable tents on the market. It is bombproof, weatherproof, and very sturdy (five poles, clip design, fully-taped seams). I have not used it in "extreme" or mountaineering conditions but I have to believe from what I have seen that it is built to persevere (wind and steady rain were not a factor at all).

There are plenty of storage options with pockets that line both sides of the tent, two "shelves" in the ceiling, and two vestibules (one being larger than the other). Each entrance (two in total) actually has two doors, a mesh screen door and a "normal" nylon door, and the larger vestibule has a clear, plastic window.  There is a vent in the ceiling (allowing winter cooking) and when it is opened (similar with the doors, there is a nylon "flap" and a mesh "flap"), a window in the fly is revealed which allows for stargazing.

My only issue, and I say this with the expectation that bombproof comes with an, albeit minor, concession, is the weight (around ten pounds with a footprint).

While all of these features are awesome on their own, don't forget about the Mountain Hardwear warranty and their stellar customer service.

Amazing tent. Not for warm conditions or light backpacking.

Summary

Amazing tent. Not for warm conditions or light backpacking. Perfect for late fall/winter camping.

Pros

• Durability
  • Protection from elements
  • Easy to set up

Cons

• Bulky
  • Heavy

This is a great tent for the months when you wouldn't normally see yourself camping. The double layers keep the inside much warmer than you would think.

The only problem can be some condensation on the inside of the tent, but any tent that has this kind of protection is going to have that problem. Fully packed with the footprint it weighs around 10 lbs...so unless you are doing something pretty serious or day hiking in the colder months, you would probably leave it at home.

There are five poles needed to have it fully set up, but once you do it a couple times, it is quite easy. You can tell it will hold up to SERIOUS weather conditions. It is quite roomy for a 2-person tent...you could probably fit three small to medium sized people in there. The vestibules on the sides of the tent are also quite roomy and you would be able to fit your packs/boots there quite easily (for two people at least).

I would highly recommend this tent for anyone who likes camping in the cold weather.

I have owned this tent for a year and a half and have…

Weight: 9lbs6oz

I have owned this tent for a year and a half and have been very happy with it. I have had the tent on three mountains, including winter ascents of Mt. Rainier and Washington. The tent is easy to set up with two people in high winds and very easy for one person to set up in mild conditions. The features and well thought out design seperate it from other mountain tents.

First, the interior of the tent is easy to keep organized with pockets around the long sides of the perimeter. The tent will comfortably sleep two people with some gear or three people without gear. The two doors on the tent are easy to use and do a good job of ventilation. The two exits in the fly are also good. The rear door provides an easy exit when the weather is nasty and the front/main door is being occupied by equipment or cooking. The vestibule on the front provides ample space for organization and easy cooking. The clear uvx window is still soft even at -20f but it fogs up so quickly that it really does not provide much utility aside from the increased light it lets in. The fly on this tent is superb. There are more than enough guy lines on the fly and each guy point is backed by a clip to secure it to the main tent body.

I have had this tent in extreme weather conditions and it performed flawlessly without the need to set multiple guys. One very useful and appreciated feature of this tent is the way the fly clips to the tent body at the pole bases. On Rainier I had the misfortune to break a plastic clip with my axe only to realize that the strap can be fed through the clip attachment point and then routed back into the fastex slider. This secondary attachment method will provide me with a lot of piece of mind on future trips. One feature that I would have appreciated in the tent would be interior guy line attachments on the tent's floor. So far guying in the tent horizontally has worked, but I would appreciate the extra safety in horrific conditions.

Generally this is a superb climbing tent. It would be hard to do better by any other manufacturer.

Sweet tent. I have used it climbing Mt. Shasta a dozen…

Design: four season
Ease of Setup: easy
Weight: 9lbs
Price Paid: $300 USD

Sweet tent. I have used it climbing Mt. Shasta a dozen times, peak bagging in the Sierras, and just backpacking through the Sierras as well. Every aspect of this tent far surpasses all other tents, less the weight. If it weren't so damn heavy it would be perfect.

The fix for this is to leave the tent body at home and only bring the footprint, fly, and poles. If you have set up this tent a dozen times with the tent body then setting it up without the tent body isn't much harder. It cuts the weight of the tent in half and still provides a great shelter. I have sat out days worth of rain with the tent in this form without any leaks. Granted, you have to have the forthought not to pitch the tent in a future little stream, but with some common sense, it works out great.

The only con to this is that it is a little colder, and during the summer there is no way to keep out the vampires. But this feature is far overlooked and makes this tent extremely versatile.

I bring the body when I am going to set up a base camp to peak bag or ski out of, or when I am going on a trip with friends where we won't be going too far too fast and I don't mind bringing along some luxury items.

I leave the body at home when I want to go light because we are going far fast or I am going with a psycho group of friends that are in better shape than I am and I need all the help I can get.

Anyway, to sum it up, this tent rocks.

i have used the Trango 2 all over the United States…

Design: 4 season (modified dome)
Sleeps: 2-3
Ease of Setup: easy -- did it without instructions the first time (guying out can be time consuming, but generally i have found it is unnessasary as long as the tent is staked out first)
Weight: 8-9 lbs. (approx.)
Price Paid: around $400

i have used the Trango 2 all over the United States and it has stood up to every weather condition i have ever faced. It has never leaked on me, although i did seem seal it before i ever took it out (just in case). I have used it on mountains in Colorado as well as wilderness areas throughout the west and in areas of West Virginia. It has been subjected to winds of nearly 60mph (in the sand dunes region of CO), it has been through mainy downpours, and has performed without fail every time (no rips, no leaks, always strong).

The tent is relativley heavy (by backpacking standards), but it is well worth the weight in foul weather. I once had a friend laugh at my Mountain Hardwear tent, thinking my heavy tent was overkill. Later that week his tent was blown apart in a storm while backpacking.

I would recommend this tent to anyone looking for a strong 4-season tent. It has enough size to accomodate 2-3 adults comfortably (although it works best with two people), and the vestibules are great for storing gear. Having two doors is a definite plus for ventilation, i used it in Kansas in the summer (wasn't any hotter than my 3-season tent). I must add that at $400 this tent is a bit of an investment, but i feel that it was well worth the price i paid

I have used this tent 10-15 times climbing in the…

Design: four season
Ease of Setup: Exceptional
Weight: 10lbs 1oz

I have used this tent 10-15 times climbing in the Cascades. The tent held up great until I took it to Mt. Rainier where it was pummeled for four nights by 40-70mph winds. Two poles bent and the rain fly tore in three places.

I did find the tent to be exceptional in the rain though and very roomy. It is also very easy to set up. Needless to say I returned the tent to REI (no questios asked) and purchased a Bibler I-Tent (half the weight). Hope it stands up better when it gets REALLY windy.

I have used this tent in the Minnesota BWCA on two…

Design: 4 season
Ease of Setup: It is very easy to set up. I really enjoy the the color coding of poles and the quick snaps

I have used this tent in the Minnesota BWCA on two seperate trips. Once in mid-August and once at the end of February. I found it a warm tent and would not recommend it for summer camping. However, for winter camping it was quite nice.

The biggest disadvantage to it: I wish I would have bought the three person. The two person is a little cramped for two large adults (6' plus, 220 plus). On a side note, it is a little heavy but damn tough and holds extremely nice in a strong wind.

I bought this tent three years ago in Lincoln, N.H.

Design: 4 Season Expedition
Sleeps: 2-3
Ease of Setup: Easy
Weight: 9 lbs
Price Paid: $285 on sale!

I bought this tent three years ago in Lincoln, N.H. The shop owner gave me a great deal and I did not refuse it. This tent is very strong and I've been very impressed with it. Certainly the best tent I've ever used in my 12 years of peak bagging.

I've used this tent in 90 mph winds near Mt. Washington, N.H., and it held superbly. It took 18 inches of snow on Feb. night and never sagged. Great tent.

This tent has provided us bombproof shelter for almost…

This tent has provided us bombproof shelter for almost a decade. Seam seal the fly, use a ground sheet, and always hang it up to dry thoroughly before storage. Other than being a smidge on the heavy side, it's perfect.

The best tent I've ever seen. I work in Denali National…

Sleeps: 2+
Ease of Setup: Easy in high winds. Fairly Quick.

The best tent I've ever seen. I work in Denali National Park, Alaska: monitoring the North Butress of Mt. McKinley. My job is being outdoors 320/days per year -- in a wide variety of weather. This is the best damn tent one can prchase.

I've had the Trango for four months now, and have…

Ease of Setup: easiest I've used, very intuitive
Weight: 7lb.s

I've had the Trango for four months now, and have subjected it to five weekends in various conditions ranging from the Mendocino coast to Mt. Shasta. Initially I was skeptical about the usefullness of this tent as it is largely touted as being a bomber expedition shelter. But it has proved comfortable in temperatures ranging from below freezing to the upper 70s.

True to its hype, the Trango is definitely a tent for those who will appreciate little attributes that become huge assets on trips. You can find cheaper tents, lighter tents, and prettier tents that all do the same job, but you'll be hard pressed to find one as reliable and impervious to gale force winds as this one.

On a winter trip to Mt. Shasta, my group set up camp early due to nasty winds and horrible visibility. While my friends were setting up a North Face Mountain 24 (an admirable tent in its own right) my tent buddy and I had the Trango up before they even finished with one pole. Indeed, an all clips tent is much faster to set up and is just as strong as one with sleeves if it is designed correctly.

In addition to the ease of set up, the Trango stood fast in disgustingly strong and persistent cross winds. On that same trip to Shasta, My buddy and I were getting ready to put up the fly when we noticed a yellow appartition slowly moving by. The Mountain 24 had been blown on its side before it could be staked down and was sliding out of camp while the Trango, also unstaked, held its ground. If the Mountain 24's owner hadn't wisely thrown his pack inside to weigh it down, my Trango would surely have slept four that night.

At close to $400 it's defintitely an investment, but one that you can be sure of. As with any tent, you have to spend some quality time with it first and seam seal the tent body as well as the fly just to be sure.

I had to borrow this tent since the one I purchased…

Ease of Setup: Super easy and fast

I had to borrow this tent since the one I purchased from Northern Mountain Supply arrive without a fly. By the way, that was several months ago and they still have my money. Don't buy anything from them or you will get scammed like I did. This may not be the proper place to say this, but this is meant to help you in purchasing your gear.

The "borrowed" Trango 2 is a lightweight bombproof tent, big enough to sleep 2 people and their gear, plus all those night time critters that come out after dark. I used the tent for 6 days on Mt Baker in the Northern Cascades. It held up great. Make sure you seam grip it. The two doors make a big difference in ventilation. As anyone who climbs can tell you, after several days without a shower and wearing double plastic boots, your feet will smell worse than your wife's cooking. The extra door helps keep this to a minimum. The window in the vestibule is a waste though. It's the first place that condensation will gather. The tent has an excellent set up for guying it out. The front vestibule is large enough to store things in and cook. I think this tent is perfect for any party of 2 that is planning to spend some time out and needs a 4 season tent. Just be careful where you buy it so you don't get scammed like me.

I've owned the tent over 2 years. I have used it car…

Design: 4 Season
Sleeps: 2+
Ease of Setup: Each time you set it up it gets easier. Perhaps difficult if you only set it up once a year. Clip on rain fly is super simple.
Weight: approx. 8lbs
Price Paid: $329 US

I've owned the tent over 2 years. I have used it car camping, backpacking, backcountry skiing, and mountineering. I have always stayed warm and dry within the tent. I took the time to seam-seal all seams near the ground the first summer that I bought the tent, therefore I cannot state if any additional benifit was gained. I have had the sunshine, moon-shine, star-shine, rain, and snow on my tent while performing flawlessly.

Perhaps other tents exist that weight a ounce or two less, however the security I feel inside at night is worth it. During warmer weather opening both doors can create a pleasent draft through the tent. The biggest drawback with the tent is getting into and out of the tent. You basically have to crawl in on your hands and knees, which is worse in the rain and mud. *TIP* Having two vestibules is handy during winter camping. Dig a large pit (2-3 feet deep) at the back door of your tent slightly smaller in shape than the vestibule. You then can place your packs upright in the hole making easier access and keeping your gear out of the elements.

What a tent ...my lovely wife gave it to me for a…

Design: 4 season, freestanding tent
Ease of Setup: up in a flash, down in half a flash
Weight: about 9 pounds

What a tent ...my lovely wife gave it to me for a wedding present 2 wks ago. our wedding trip was to the arctic circle. the trango 2 went up in a flash and we were cozily settled inside before the horde of giant mosquitoes were able to eat us down to the bone. we highly recommend this tent...even with a double size air mattress inside, there was room for clothes and a few other things.

our next trip with our trango will be to denali national park...we're really looking forward to that one. we'll let you know how it goes.

I've owned this tent for seven years now, and it's…

Weight: 4.1
Price Paid: 500 euro

I've owned this tent for seven years now, and it's still with me. Great for hiking and winter-mountaineering, although it's pretty cramped with two people and their gear in winter conditions.

Setup is very easy, thanks to the clips and it's tornado-proof.
The only big disadvantage is the groundsheet which is a horror. After three weeks it leaked everywhere and it had to be replaced (by a groundsheet from Lowland, a Dutch tent-maker).

Because I buy a tent to be waterproof (if it's dry I can bivy in the open-sky in my sleeping bag) I won't buy the tent again. Maybe I had a mis-production, but I won't take that risk again.

I recently purchased this tent and just tried it out…

Ease of Setup: Easy after the first time
Weight: 8.5 lbs

I recently purchased this tent and just tried it out for the first time under less than ideal conditions. I was camped out at approx 10,000' and was snowed/rained on for two days straight. Even with the wet heavy snow, the tent never leaked a drop.

Only complaint is that the instuctions could be a little more in depth, especially in regards to guying the tent. Overall, a fantastic tent that I would recommend to anyone.

P.S. Don't buy the gear loft. It is not needed due to the generous side pockets, and takes up all the headroom.

This tent is not light by no means and meant for the…

Design: 4 Season Dome
Ease of Setup: Hard Only the 1st Time (recommend having sales clerk set up in store before purchase)
Weight: 9lb.s

This tent is not light by no means and meant for the other three seasons of camping, but if you don't mind the extra weight this tent is for you. The storage inside the tent is great even without the gear loft. I do recommend the Foot Print (sold sep.). This tent would deflect fallen timber of resonable size, not to mention snow. I use this tent for Boy Scout hikes in the southeastern United States and would personally recomend a lighter Mountain Hardware Tent for the other 8 months out of the year.

I have owned several (three) so called expedition…

Weight: 4,2 kg
Price Paid: 462 €

I have owned several (three) so called expedition tents. I have had Halti XPD, and Vaude K2 Space. Those tents were big dissapoints for me.

After those two I try to get Marmot Thor 2P but LUCKILY I did not get that. At the same time I did make an order for this great (I did not known it then) tent. OK Trango has been my friend now for one year in summer and in winter, after all Trango 2 is the best tent I've ever had.

It has more space than comparable tents having the…

Design: 4 season ledge tent/modified dome
Ease of Setup: very simple
Weight: 7 lbs.

It has more space than comparable tents having the same design: TNF Mountain-24, Wild Country Mountain. Absolutely bomber. Stays moderately cool for summer use.

The tent performs well on Alaskan glaciers and in…

Design: 4 season dome
Ease of Setup: very simple to put up
Weight: 7lbs

The tent performs well on Alaskan glaciers and in deep snow in the upper U.P. Can handle three climbers and gear nicely.

I agree with all the positive things that have been…

Design: 4-season freestanding
Ease of Setup: VERY simple

I agree with all the positive things that have been said. Absolutely awesome design. I would buy it again and again.

My only one complaint is condensation. Even with all the vents wide open when it only drops to 50-60 deg at night, I still wake with lots of condensation with only 1-2 sleepers. This is something I really didn't expect. This is my first 4-season tent, but I have never had this problem with the other three tents I have owned.

I think tents "Today" could learn from the '70s. This…

I think tents "Today" could learn from the '70s. This tent was no "Snowflaps" or "Cool/Pee Hole" zippered into floor like the great tents of the '70s. The poles are better today and also the fabric, but the "Outsourced" workmanship is Shotty. One tent is OK but the next is so-so. Tents today do not compare well with the tents of 30 years also...

Great tent. Hopefully you will not need support. I…

Ease of Setup: Easy

Great tent.

Hopefully you will not need support. I e-mailed Mountain Hardwear for advise on using internal guys but got no reply.

If you've owned or used a Mountain Hardwear Trango 2, please share your experience.

Mountain Hardwear Trango 2