Mountain Hardwear Tri-Light 1

Mountain Hardwear is comming out with a new line of…

Design: free standing A-frame
Ease of Setup: setup is a breeze
Weight: 3.5 lbs

Mountain Hardwear is comming out with a new line of free standing ultralights. The Tri-Light series will give any ultras a run but will be a little pricey, as is usual with top quality. The Tri-Lights will be available in 1, 2 and 3 man models. I pre-ordered the Tri-Light 1 blind. It's 27" at the feet with 37" at the upper end. At 91" long it should fit my tall frame great. Being a happy "Room With a View" owner I have no qualms in ordering sight unseen from MtnHardware.

Update: February 6, 2001

This is a pre-use opinion. As soon as I can get into the backcountry with it I'll post more info.

At 3.5lbs it weighs nothing. It is billed as a summer tent and is little more than free standing, heavy weight bug netting with a rain fly, but that is what I was looking for. At 6'2" it holds me and my long bag with no probs. I was very pleased to go in head first and have ample room (33 inches high) to turn around and dress inside. The width is just enough to hold a full length pad so bringing goodies in will kept to a minimum.

My only disappointment was to "have" to stake it out. I could probably do without the stakes but the slightest breeze will make me wish I brought the stakes.

I pre-ordered this tent before it went into production with no real idea what I would get. I am pleased with what I've seen so far and itching to try it out.