Mountain Hardwear Zonal Jacket

Weight 13 oz / 369 g
Center Back Length 27 in / 69 cm
Body Fabric 20D Polyester Rip
Insulation Thermic Micro™

Great alternative to down, best one out there I feel.

Source: bought via a "pro deal"

Summary

Great alternative to down, best one out there I feel.

Pros

• Light
  • Compressable
  • Water resistant to a T
  • Warm

Cons

• New version has elbow pads that make me jealous
  • No chest pocket

My wife is allergic to down, so much so that I can't even wear a jacket that has any mention of the word "down." So I had been searching for a while for a great alternative, looked at many other jackets from Marmot, Patagonia (my wife subsequently ended up with the hooded Nanopuff from Patagonia and loves it), and a few others. Some were just down right too expensive, some did not fit me as well as I'd wish, and yet some others were just down right not warm. Nothing is as great as down truly is, but this is the next best thing!

I really liked the fact that this was form fitting and not only meant to be a layering jacket, but also one that could stand alone. A lot of the others that I looked at I could tell were constructed to be just another layer, not tight at the bottom, or little bit too loose in the sleeves etc. This however form fits and has a sturdy collar that can stay up, or fold down (many others had whimpy collars).

The Primaloft in this jacket does its job too! I am a cold person, growing up in Vegas has given me bad traits, so I yearn for warmth and layering. This jacket did very well all the way down to 20°F for me. I also took it out a few times on the trail, never once did I overheat, still have no snags, and despite some puppy paws on it, no holes or frays. I am a stickler for chest pocket though, especially when you're just out for a quick jaunt with the dog.

Side note, it does layer well too though, I used it under just a Patagonia Torrentshell, under a Marmot ROM and Patagonia Torrent, and under my Marmot Leadville. Doesn't bunch up in the armpits, doesn't create any undue tightness around your arms as you add or subtract layers, and doesn't restrict movement. I also like that it is rather slim-line. The stretch panels under the arms too? Genius! And it doesn't negate the overall insulation.

Overall, if you aren't down with "the down" then come on down and try this guy out. I promise you won't be disappointed! There is even a new model with elbow pads that seems to me like a fantastic idea.

Montana Ski and Sail

This is not a fully insulated jacket and has stretch (thinner & not as warm) panels on the sides. This makes it primarily a layering piece. If you can't wear down but want a fully insulated version ,buy the MTN H. Compressor model, also available in a hooded version. That beiing said ,this jacket is great for arobic activities , and is a very comfortable fit. I ended up with a simalar model from Eddie Bauer, First ascent, that has stretch panels that carry farther up into the armpits and also has thumb hole style cuffs.

1 year ago

With the ice climbing season starting as early as…

Price Paid: 160$Can

With the ice climbing season starting as early as December this year (2010), I found myself in dire needs of a synthetic belay jacket. One that I could use as an extra layer when skiing, walking around town and useful for spring camping. I wanted it to be more breathable than the average insulation jackets we usually find since, let’s be honest; I develop heat like an M1 Abram.

At first glance a lot of these synthetic layer look alike and feel alike, some have hoods, others don’t, each company puts in it little tweak here and there but basically they remain IMO a lot alike. Until this year, since the beginning or the season, we’ve seen the somewhat new (not really) hybrid jacket that combine fleece and synthetic insulation. Finally!!

The reasons for that are simple: comfort and breathability.

Back to the Zonal, first off the fit is great. The fleece is logically situated (both under-arms and it starts in the lower back) to be comfortable when carrying a backpack or under a harness.  For me, extra large fit perfectly over the layers I wear for ice climbing witch are a thick merino shirt, a power stretch marmot zip up, and a Marmot Leadville soft shell. I had no restriction in the arms at all even with all those layers.

The fill of the jacket is MH own copy of whatever is hot right now, (Primaloft maybe?). In any case it’s hot when wet and compresses nicely. Now you’ll have to watch out in high wind conditions were exposure can be severe since the side don’t block wind at all. They are, after all, fleece. On the other hand that’s what makes it so breathable and un-restrictive.

In the end the jacket is perfect for what I use it for.

Best for: Layering system for active sports, when you need comfort and performance. As a belay jacket for climbing in the colder seasons (I use it from 15 to the upper 40 Fahrenheit’s).

Visit Mountain Hardwear's Men's Zonal Jacket page.

Mountain Hardwear Zonal Jacket for MenThe Mountain Hardwear Zonal Jacket for Men is the ideal accessory for all your outdoor trips. The microclimate zoning construction offers wind protection and breathability for a more cozy feeling during cold days. The strategically zoned fabrics give you great layering. The lightly insulated body panels and sleeves provide you with just the right amount of warmth while you enjoy your favorite outdoor activity. The stretch fleece side panels and underarms give you a greater mobility. For a fast fit adjustment, this jacket comes with handy dual hem drawcords. The zip pockets let you store valuable belongings safely and keep your hands warm. The Mountain Hardwear Zonal Jacket for Men is ideal for backpacking, hiking, camping, or for everyday use.

- SunnySports refers to the men's version

On Sale. Free Shipping. Mountain Hardwear Men's Zonal Jacket FEATURES of the Mountain Hardwear Men's Zonal Jacket New design MicroClimate Zoning construction for built-in wind protection, warmth, breathability and stretch Lightly insulated body panels and sleeves for just the right amount of warmth Stretch fleece side panels and underarms for mobility and breathability Dual hem drawcords for quick fit adjustments Jacket stows in pocket Zip handwarmer pockets SPECIFICATIONS of the Mountain Hardwear Men's Zonal Jacket Average Weight: 14 oz / 397 g Center Back Length: 28in. / 71 cm Body: 20D Ripstop (100% nylon) Panel: Stretch Fleece (93% polyester, 7% elastane) Insulation: 60g Thermic Micro TK

- Moosejaw refers to the men's version

CLOSEOUTS . Mountain Hardwear made the Zonal jacket with specially placed insulated panels and zoning construction to keep you warm where you need it most and to reduce overall bulk. Available Colors: BLUE HORIZON/BLUE CHIP, RED/THUNDERBIRD RED. Sizes: S, M, L, XL, 2XL.

- Sierra Trading Post refers to the men's version

Mountain Hardwear: Men's Zonal Jacket: Lightweight, low-profile and warm. What makes the Zonal different is its hybrid construction: 60 grams of Thermic Micro synthetic insulation in the body and sleeves for warmth (even when wet) and stretch fleece in the side and underarm panels for great, non-bulky fit and easier movement. New design MicroClimate Zoning construction for built-in wind protection, warmth, breathability and stretch Lightly insulated body panels and sleeves for just the right amount of warmth Stretch fleece side panels and underarms for mobility and breathability Dual hem drawcords for quick fit adjustments Jacket stows in pocket Zip handwarmer pockets

- Mountain Hardwear refers to the men's version