Mountain House Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Pro-Pak

Weight 0.44 lb
Servings 2
Serving Size 1 cup

Tasty and filling. Lots of meat and sauce. Tried this…

Price Paid: 6.50

Summary

Tasty and filling. Lots of meat and sauce.

Pros

• Tastes good
  • Lots of meat, lots of sauce
  • Good texture
  • Filling
  • Pro-packs don't expand at elevation

Cons

• High in sodium (1990mg)

MH-Spaghetti.jpg
Tried this out as one of a number of dehydrated meals I bought to feed clients over the summer, and like other Mountain House staples (Chili Mac with Beef, Beef Stroganoff, etc.) it delivered.

Boil-in-a-bag takes 8-9 minutes with Mountain House freeze-dried meals, and with a stir before serving the texture is excellent - lots of hamburger and a tasty sauce. I added a handful of sun-dried tomatoes (a light-weight and tasty addition to many dishes) and the extra zing went very well with the sauce.

The Pro-Pack weighs 115 grams and provides 560 calories, and one bag = one good serving.  Easy to prepare, lightweight, and flavourful. One of those good meals I'd buy again, and (as I'm doing now) one that I'd recommend to my friends.

Tastes OK, but not for low sodium diet. I don't often…

Price Paid: 6.50 Canadian

Summary

Tastes OK, but not for low sodium diet.

Pros

• Tastes like spaghetti and sauce.
  • Quick and easy

Cons

• Very high in sodium

I don't often eat freeze dried food, usually prefering to eat as fresh a food as possible. Also, the price is just too high for the convenience which I can get from cooking regular food. However, I thought I would try this product.

Preparation was easy; just add boiled water to the pouch, mix, then let sit for a few minutes. You can't get much simpler than that without eating it raw. The taste was good, all things considered, with real tomatoe flavour, which did not linger on my palate. For me it was fairly filling and you can combine it with other foods from your pack if you have a big appetite.

On the downside, though was the sodium content. REI in the US showed 850 mg per serving, MEC in Canada a whopping 1990 mg per serving and on the label itself 760 mg, either of these levels are unhealthy and well over my normal daily limit. Things like sodium and nitrates are usually added to foods as a preservative, but since this is already freeze dried, I don't see the need.

So, in spite of the ease in preperation, I will not be purchasing this item again. I will stick with foods that are healthier, even if they weigh slightly more.

Visit Mountain House's Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Pro-Pak page.

The Pro-Pak packaging is a compact vacuum pouch that requires less space in your backpack and won't expand at high elevations.

- CampSaver.com

Mountain House Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Pro-Pak gives you an instant Italian entree with red sauce, spaghetti noodles and beef.

A hearty 16 oz. portion of spaghetti with a savory meat sauce. Add boiling water to the pouch and it's ready in less time than it takes to cook pasta.

- EMS

Outdoor enthusiasts have made Mountain House freeze-dried food their first choice for 40 years. Why? Because Mountain House tastes better than other brands! On the trail, back at camp, or any time you need a hot tasty meal, You'll love the delicious aroma, hearty flavor, and simple convenience of their award winning Mountain House meals. Prepared from quality ingredients, Mountain House gives you the home-cooked flavor you deserve after you deserve after an active day of outdoor recreation. Mountain House takes pride in offering a wide selection on entrees, desserts, breakfasts, vegetables, and fruit snacks. All of our products are easy to prepare and lightweight. Just add water, wait a few minutes, and eat! Mountain House Spaghetti Pro-Pack Features: Pro-Pak New Compact Vacuum Pouch Won't expand at high elevations Takes less space in your backpack Hearty 16oz. Serving Convenient stand up zipper pouch

- Mountain Hideaway