Mountain Laurel Designs eVent Rain Mitts

Medium Large
Weight 1.2 oz per pair 1.3 oz per pair

Mountain Laurel Designs Rain Mitts are the go-to lightweight…

Source: bought it used

Summary

Mountain Laurel Designs Rain Mitts are the go-to lightweight year-round mitten shells. Made from breathable eVent fabric these mitts will keep the elements out and allow sweat to escape while your working hard up a climb. They are so lightweight that I always keep them in my rain jacket's chest pocket ready for action.

Pros

• Breathable
  • Versatile
  • Well made

Cons

• Adjustability

After a cold and rainy spring weekend in the White Mountains in New Hampshire without any rain protection for my hands I knew I needed something to keep my hands dry and warm. My hands get cold easily and this was the first time I was stuck out in the rain with the temps dipping into the 30s — my dexterity was getting worse and worse and my fleece gloves wouldn't cut it.  After that weekend I was on the hunt for something lightweight and breathable. I picked up a used pair of the MLD rain mitts and have been happy ever since.

Pros:

My rain jacket is made from eVent and I knew that I loved this breathable fabric.  The weight was exactly what I wanted. My shelter, pack and quilt came from MLD and they never let me down.  These rain mitts are no different -- very well made.  I have been liking these so much they are now my go-to year round mitten shell for day hikes and longer trips.

Cons:

These mitts can only be adjusted at the opening.  On occasion I wish there was a strap at the wrist.  BUT majority of the time I am hiking with poles and so the mitts never slip or move around.

(I did not list durability as a con because these mitts are not meant for heavy duty work and you shouldn't expect them to handle high abrasion (rocks, etc).  They are minimalist to keep the weight so low. This is the nature of lightweight gear.)

MLD Rain Mitts have been along for The Ride with many long distance hikers since 2007 with all reporting excellent performance. The most popular single brand gear item on lightweight thru-hiker gear lists the world over. Proven to work over and over and over.

Justin Lichter " Trauma" — "MLD eVent Rain Mitts: I have always sought out the solution for rain and hands and these are the answer! Probably my favorite item EVER! " With over 15 very long thru hikes covering over 50,000 miles, including the triple crown in one year plus most recently 2011 the first ever continuous thru-hike of the 2400+mi Great Himalaya Trail- he used the rain mitts with a liner in very low temps.

Andrew Skurka -long distance hiker and explorer - 2008 National Geographic Adventure Magazine Adventurer of the Year for the 6,875mile Great Western Loop

Francis Tapon triple-crowner including the first ever successful 5,800 mile CDT Yo-Yo

Anitra "Nitro" Kass on her 2,900 mile CDT and Tiple Crown finish (AT, PCT and CDT) One of the very few women to tripple crown primarily solo.

Erin and Brentwood Higman on thier 4,000+ mile Journey on the Wild Coast from Seattle to the end of Alaska. At one point in an early season Alaskan blizzard, they were forced to stuff grass into the mitts as insulation!

Visit Mountain Laurel Designs's eVent Rain Mitts page.

Mountain Laurel Designs eVent Rain Mitts

The Mountain Laurel Designs eVent Rain Mitts is not available from the stores we monitor.

If you're looking for a new waterproof glove/mitten, check out the best reviewed current models.