Mountainsmith Auspex

The pack has been on a few ventures with me. At 4000…

Design: internal
Size: 4000 ci
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: ~35-40 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'8"

The pack has been on a few ventures with me. At 4000 ci it fits needs from numerous days to overnighters. It is definitely lighter than most of the other packs with its storage capacity and the suspension works well.

The waist belt is big on me at a 29 inch waist but I just modified it a little bit to make it work for me. Once fit correctly the pack feels great but there are a lot of straps to adjust to get a good fit.

I gave it four stars because its a good pack but the straps and adjustments seem like a little bit of overkill. I would rather have the top be attached as the previous person stated, that would kill off a few buckles and straps not to mention a more user friendly pack. However, it's durable and light. Once the straps are put in position just have to forget about them and they're no big deal. The side pockets hold water bottles and the back webbing holds the tent poles with a sleeping pad wrapped around it perfectly.

It is a decent lightweight pack. Remember though,…

Number of Pockets: 1
Max. Load Carried: 40
Height of Owner: 6'1"

It is a decent lightweight pack. Remember though, this is a bare bones pack. The two complaints I have: If the pack is not completely stuffed full the top comes off of the frame. Second the hood just fits the bag poorly. Really the hood is just designed poorly as it is difficult to remove for daypack use as well. It does have a good suspension though. I did have to modify the belt for my 32" waist but now I am very pleased with the belt.

This pack is irreplacable, even with other Mountainsmith…

Design: top loading internal
Size: 4200 cu in
Number of Pockets: 3 including 2 mesh ones
Max. Load Carried: 35 lb
Height of Owner: 6' 0"

This pack is irreplacable, even with other Mountainsmith products. It carries a lightweight load perfectly. I have had no problems with it -- it's my go-to backpack that I have tried to semi retire with no success!

Mountainsmith Auspex

The Auspex has been discontinued.

The Mountainsmith Auspex is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen August 1, 2006 at Moosejaw.