Mountainsmith Elite 4000

I have hiked with my Mountainsmith pack for five seasons…

Design: internal frame
Size: 6000
Number of Pockets: 2
Max. Load Carried: 65 lbs
Height of Owner: 5'8
Price Paid: approx. $400-450

I have hiked with my Mountainsmith pack for five seasons now in Minnesota, Washington, Alaska, and soon California. It has held up beautifully! The two aluminium stays hold the pack very steady, and the two smaller adjustment stays offer a range of fit and comfort. The pack hold to my back incredibly well, and has plenty of compresion straps to control the size of the pack. It is a relatively narrow pack, but remains extremely stable even off trail or during heavy bushwacking. The durability is also exceptional. The only hole I have had in the pack was due to a chipmunk.

My only complaint about the pack is that the materials have gotten very soft over the years of use, giving the pack almost no form. Overall, if this pack fits, wear it!

If you've owned or used a Mountainsmith Elite 4000, please share your experience.

Mountainsmith Elite 4000

The Elite 4000 has been discontinued.

The Mountainsmith Elite 4000 is not available from the stores we monitor.