Mountainsmith Frostfire 63

Both of these were rejects by me. Although just a…

Design: internal large pack
Size: (6300 cu. in.)
Number of Pockets: 1 large and 2 small
Max. Load Carried: 30 or so lbs
Height of Owner: 5'11"

Both of these were rejects by me. Although just a little lighter than the Dana's and Gregory's, I thought the wider capacity bags of the Mountainsmith would give more flexibility in loads. Also the suspension is more alterable than others.

However, I was given a female designed bag under the male Frostfire series. I discovered after my first overnight that I was miserable and noticed that the female symbol was stitched on the bag. I brought it back to EMS and they admitted that quality control at Mtnsmith left something to be desired and I traded for a smaller Frostfire 63, which was labeled medium. Got home and noticed it was a small, not the medium it was listed as. Took it back too and went for the Dana Terreplane.....much more comfortable, but a little too heavy except it is very alterable and simple at the same time....and reliable. My big pack for the decade....Now I'm looking into ultralights.