Mountainsmith Mountainlight 5200

I have been designing a minimalist pack in my mind…

Design: internal
Size: 5200
Number of Pockets: 3
Max. Load Carried: 40
Height of Owner: 5'11"

I have been designing a minimalist pack in my mind for years and it was a surprise to see Moutainsmith build it. I did a combo alpinist ascent/bushwack trip with it recently and this is what I found. For the weight in the pack it carried very well. However I did have a problem with the left stay working loose and the pack sliding down and pressing my harness down. Along with that the left harness also loosened and that too created some problems.

The constrtuction of the suspension system is not plush but is more than adaquate for what it is meant to do. My other big pack is a Frostfire and the sweat build up was WAY less than the 'light.

You do need to have a phuedo full load due to a lack of a frame sheet. If no big load the pack has a tendancy to collapse inwards.

My pack came with two aluminum stays instead of carbon fiber and it makes me very happy. I can adjust the stays to a custom fit and could use the stays as emergency splints if need be - no such luck with carbon fiber.

Yes, it is a minimalist pack and some comfort will be given up for weight but I would give it a "Sure I will use it agian".