Mountainsmith Pyrite 7075

My experience with trekking poles is relatively limited…

Pros

• Relatively light and sturdy

Cons

• Basket broke during first use, small grips

My experience with trekking poles is relatively limited as I've only had three pairs and none have been top of the line. With some things, like backpacks, I do believe that you tend to get what you pay for. But I'm not sure if I'll be spending $100+ on trekking poles unless it comes with a motor that propels me down the trail faster. So when I ran across the Pyrites for a ridiculously low price, especially when compared to other anti-shock poles, I pulled the trigger.

These poles are relatively lightweight and appear to be decently constructed. The anti-shock works well and the adjustments are quick and easy and haven't slipped so far. Cool color too.

That said, on my first trip out with them in some hard packed snow one of the baskets snapped in two. No bueno. Also, the grip seems to be way too small for a man's hand. While I have big hands I would say these would only fit a man with small hands or a woman. I actually thought I may have been sent women's poles by mistake but that wasn't the case. Now perhaps it is just my lack of experience and most poles have small grips but that wasn't my personal case with my two previous sets. Also, when wearing low-profile gloves I found my bottom finger slipping below the grip. Just not enough room.

Unfortunately, these will end up going to a female hiking buddy who will hopefully get a lot of use from them.

This is a great pair of trekking poles. Use them until…

Source: received it as a personal gift

Summary

This is a great pair of trekking poles. Use them until they can't go another step, probably in 15 years.

Pros

• light weight
  • tough
  • reliable

Cons

• baskets twist off easily

I got these pole when I was just getting into backpacking and during that time I had had knee surgery (ACL and Muniscus). The next summer I went on a 78-miler and the poles were awesome.

They provided the support I needed with the big loads of my backpack and I trust them. They are comfortable and fun to use and they make great poles. and I don't go on a trip without them.

Okay for the price. The poles worked okay for the…

Summary

Okay for the price.

• Easy to grip

Cons

• Baskets fell off
  • Locking mechanism flawed
  • Not easy to measure length

The poles worked okay for the price. The grips were fairly comfortable if without considerable cushion. The rubber sticks well to your hand, but after a few days of usage there is risk of a blister. T

he poles lock with minimum slippage but to say "quick lock" is an exaggeration. The measurements are confusing so it takes time to ensure equal length on the poles and the system is not easy to lock and unlock so it takes time to go between distances for ascents and descents.

The baskets fell off on mine on day three exposing the sharpened end which would be great for ice, not for mud. The good news is the caked on mud acted like a basket, but this was disappointing. The baskets gripped well while they were on, but mostly dissapointed at how easy the fell off without my knowledge.

The poles were durable and if they sold baskets that would stay on I might use again, but I think I would be better off buying some Lekis.

If you've owned or used a Mountainsmith Pyrite 7075, please share your experience.