Mountainsmith Trekker FX MonoPod

I generally use two poles for winter hiking and snowshoeing;…

Summary

I generally use two poles for winter hiking and snowshoeing; but for summer treks, I find one pole is sufficient, and easier to keep out of the way during scrambles. Last summer, I decided to put away the single ski pole I had used for summer, and try an actual trekking pole.

I did not want to spend a lot of money, as this was going to be new—using an adjustable pole, with spring mechanism. My husband and I bought the same model...well, I am now sold, and really like the Mountainsmith Trekker monopod.

Pros

• Price
  • Adjustable feature has held up well
  • Soft grip and top knob
  • Monopod for camera

Cons

• Rubber tips wear out quickly
  • Does not hold heavier cameras that well

The straps and grip are comfortable,and have a range of adjustments. I did put bicycle handlebar tape on my grip,as I prefer a thicker grip than is standard on any pole.

The adjustable length feature is appreciated, and handy, as I hike varying terrain, and sometimes I want to not use the pole, and it can easily be clipped to my pack in its shortest configuration. My husband is quite tall, and uses the pole to compensate for a bad knee. Neither of us has experienced any slippage in the locking mechanism. The shocks seem to work well, even though this is not an expensive pole.

I do not use the rubber caps; my husband did, but said they wore out quite quickly. Replacements are available, but we have not purchased any. The carbide tips have held up very well, even since we use the poles on rock and gravel, as well as forest and rooty soil. The baskets have remained firmly affixed.

The monopod feature has been very useful; It saves us from having to carry a tripod with us. I have noticed that with my larger point-and-shoot camera (10 oz.), when the pole is at normal height for me, it can be a bit wobbly, so placement is critical. It is fine with my smaller point and shoot (6 oz).

This pole has held up well, with frequent (3-5 times per week) use over three seasons of hiking. It has definitely been a nice addition to our hiking arsenal.

pole-review.jpg

Nice review, Sheila! Thanks for sharing it.

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Nice review, Sheila. That is a beautiful picture. Where was that taken?

Sheila Goss

Wheeler Mt. near Barton,VT

Visit Mountainsmith's Trekker FX MonoPod page.

The Mountainsmith Trekker FX 7075 Monopod/Walking Staff serves double duty as a camera-ready monopod with 3-section height adjustability and a shock absorber to keep your photos in focus.

Mountainsmith Trekker FX Monopod Trekking PoleThe Mountainsmith Trekker FX Monopod Trekking Pole is a three section adjustable trekking pole with a double function. It can be used as a lightweight camera mono-pod for perfect set-ups in the backcountry or the backyard. The EVA top handle unscrew, revealing a universal ?-20SAE male bolt for fitment with most Point and Shoot, Hi-Zoom, and lightweight DSLR cameras. The EVA foam grip unscrew to reveal a universal camera mount that fits most cameras. The monopod offers all of the features found on other Mountainsmith trekking poles including a quick twist locking mechanism, three-section length adjustability, carbide tips and an anti-shock absorption system. The Mountainsmith Trekker FX Monopod Trekking Pole functions at a max carrying capacity of 3 lbs. and also features removable hiking basket, wrist strap, replaceable rubber boot tip, and carbide tip for exceptional traction on rock, trail and gravel.

- SunnySports

Mountainsmith Trekker FX 7075 Trekking Pole - Single FEATURES of the Mountainsmith Trekker FX 7075 Trekking Pole - Single Removable handle cap reveals 1/4-20 SAE threaded bolt for camera Camera carry weight capacity - 3 lbs (1.4 kg) Two telescoping sections Spring loaded anti-shock system with twist lock-out feature Twist-lock Double Cam adjustment Removable hiking basket with locking pin Rubber boot tip Molded EVA handle Adjustable webbing wrist strap SPECIFICATIONS of the Mountainsmith Trekker FX 7075 Trekking Pole - Single Length: Compressed: 28in., Extended: 54in. Weight: 10.5 oz / .3 kg Maximum Load: Up to 160 lbs Carbide tips 7075 aluminum

The Trekker FX Monopod is a lightweight combination of a trekking pole and camera monopod all in one. Lightweight combination of a trekking pole and camera monopod 7075 Alloy Construction Adjustable in length from 66-137cm Molded EVA grip Removable handle cap reveals threaded bolt for camera attachment Sold as a single unit (not pair) Item Specifications Length 66-137cm

- Mountains Plus