MSR Alpinist 2 System

Total Weight 23.2 ounces (657 g)
Packed Size 7.75 x 4.75 inches (19.69 x 12.07 cm)

Great starter set, lightweight and resistant, nests…

Summary

Great starter set, lightweight and resistant, nests well.

Pros

• Nesting
  • Rugged
  • Built-in strainer

Cons

• Poorly insulated mugs

This is a nice starter set for the backpacking duo that likes to eat well on the trail. The pot is great and lightweight, the handle and lid work well, using the strainer can be a little tricky but works. I really like the anodized aluminum, it doesn't have a teflon or non-stick coating that I have to worry about, but it is also easy to clean.

The plastic plates/bowls are ok, good for runny chili and pasta with sauce, not ideal for soup. The mugs are nice for coffee/tea but awkward for soup or oatmeal because of the shape. The mugs are slightly insulated but nothing like a traditional insulated mug.

The foam cover can come off for cleaning at home but is tricky to get back on. There is a little bit of space left inside to allow for utensils and camp soap.

We also have one of the MSR Flex Skillets that the pot nests in; the pair of cooking pans allows us to make just about everything, from chili and potatoes to pancakes and bacon. We primarily use this set for backpacking. It has held up well. I make a lot of my own dehydrated meals and the pot is key! I can see myself replacing the plates in another season or two.