MSR Autoflow Gravity Filter

I have found this filter to be perfect for me. I like…

I have found this filter to be perfect for me. I like the fact that there is no pumping, makes it very convenient. If water is not close to where I am camping for the night I will fill my water bottles at the water source, and then refill reservoir on the filter so that I have water for the morning.

Another noteworthy feature is the fact that it can be backwashed, so the cartridge lasts much longer, and the flow does not diminish as quickly. The only downside is that it needs to be dried completely before it is stored for any length of time.

I cannot see myself purchasing another pump filter after using this.

This is wicked fast! I upgraded for my next thru hike…

Price Paid: $84 on sale!

Summary

This is wicked fast! I upgraded for my next thru hike from a Sawyer Mini to this and I love it! It filtered 4 L water in 2 minutes, and it comes with an attachment that fits wide mouth Nalgene bottle to filter right into the bottle.

Pros

• Easy to use
  • Fast
  • Comes with pouch to store it in

Cons

• None as of yet

I bought this for my upcoming hike in California. I knew I would be needing to filter more water and I wanted something that would be quick. Boy, did I choose the right one! This thing is amazing.

It is easy to use and lightweight and the material it is made out of is so durable. It has a see-through window with measurements so you can see how much the water is going down as you filter.

It has a real handy hanging strap that you can use to hang at camp and filter while you do other things. I could not believe how fast this worked when compared to the Sawyer Mini

A.T.

There is a reason why it's fast: because it does not filter much. It would be OK when the water source is cleaner than your regular back country creeks, rivers and lakes, like in the mountain glacier water. Otherwise I would not compromise my health unless you boil water every time after filtering which would be weird: why would you need a filter at all? My personal choice is a filter with a membrane size no more than 0.1 micron. But then simple logic tells you the water flow would be slower. Everything comes at a cost.

Elizabeth McCoy

Yes I agree 100% with you. I did not mention that I use this filter in mountain regions in the USA where it is mostly glacier water. If I am ever in an area that I am in question of I take the time to boil as well. I never compromise my health out there ever. I can't afford to. I have an auto immune disease for which I am on biologics. I can't take any risks with my health, I could end up in hospital rather quickly especially if they are gut related. I have always used a Sawyer mini in WA state. Now I use the new MSR because it is fine for mountain regions in WA. I just came out of Rainier this morning and the Enchantments last week and I have to say that it was so nice to have a camp water supply using the MSR. It straps around any tree and instant water supply for me for a couple days.

Elizabeth McCoy

My plan was to take it out on my JMT trip in two weeks, what do you think? Good enough at 0.2 microns for the High Sierras? I'm bringing tablets as an emergency (always in my first aid kit)

A.T.

Elizabeth, just so you know, you can use Sawyer mini with the MSR bags: just attach Sawyer to the tubes instead of the MSR filter. It will be a bit slower but it filters way better and I can guarantee you that it's safe based on my own two years of usage with no additional boiling. Personally I don't use gravity filters on a trail because they are bulkier, heavier, and much slower than a pump filter when you need a quick drink. If you are looking for a good pump filter look at the one I've reviewed (Survivor Pro). It's the best so far that I've found. But I am pretty sure you know what to expect of water conditions on JMT much better than I do as I haven't been there yet. Planning one week in Sequoia and Kings this fall but that'd be the first for me, so good luck.

1 month ago

Great filter for large amounts of water with little…

Summary

Great filter for large amounts of water with little work.

Pros

• Filters quickly
  • No pumping
  • Easy to operate

Cons

• Maintenance free filter

Picture-197.jpg
This gravity system is awesome. I purchased this to go along on my recent trip to Olympic Nat'l Park for 5 days with a couple of friends. The $80 was for the bag and filter kit, everything you need minus a drom bag. I was sick of getting into camp and spending my last few hours of daylight pumping water, or spitting silt out while tabbing. I already had a 10L Drom bag from MSR and this attaches right to it or right to wide mouth Nalgene bottles.

Once in camp, I could walk to the nearest water source fill the 4-5L bag, attach to the drom bag and let gravity do the work, while I got my tent and the rest of the camp set up. In about 8 minutes we had 5 liters of filtered water. I would fill it up once more and top off the drom (10L) and had water for dinner, clean up, drinking, and refilling Nalgenes in the morning for 3. The pump or tabs were fine for water on trail, but this is a camp necessity from now on. It is well worth the few ounces it weighs.

I definitely recommend this to all trail weary backpackers at the end of a glorious day. Even got to take a cold swim while water was filtering.

I purchased the MSR Gravity Filter to replace a Pur-Hiker…

Price Paid: @ $90

I purchased the MSR Gravity Filter to replace a Pur-Hiker I have had for 15yrs, and I'm glad I did. No pumping! It is very fast, convenient, back flush-able on the trail, and it is light weight and compact too.

I used it for about 6 weeks in the woods last year and just see no downside at all. It never gave me any trouble and performed wonderfully. Definitely recommended... Did I mention No Pumping! lol