MSR Autoflow Gravity Filter

I have found this filter to be perfect for me. I like…

I have found this filter to be perfect for me. I like the fact that there is no pumping, makes it very convenient. If water is not close to where I am camping for the night I will fill my water bottles at the water source, and then refill reservoir on the filter so that I have water for the morning.

Another noteworthy feature is the fact that it can be backwashed, so the cartridge lasts much longer, and the flow does not diminish as quickly. The only downside is that it needs to be dried completely before it is stored for any length of time.

I cannot see myself purchasing another pump filter after using this.

Great filter for large amounts of water with little…

Summary

Great filter for large amounts of water with little work.

Pros

• Filters quickly
  • No pumping
  • Easy to operate

Cons

• Maintenance free filter

Picture-197.jpg
This gravity system is awesome. I purchased this to go along on my recent trip to Olympic Nat'l Park for 5 days with a couple of friends. The $80 was for the bag and filter kit, everything you need minus a drom bag. I was sick of getting into camp and spending my last few hours of daylight pumping water, or spitting silt out while tabbing. I already had a 10L Drom bag from MSR and this attaches right to it or right to wide mouth Nalgene bottles.

Once in camp, I could walk to the nearest water source fill the 4-5L bag, attach to the drom bag and let gravity do the work, while I got my tent and the rest of the camp set up. In about 8 minutes we had 5 liters of filtered water. I would fill it up once more and top off the drom (10L) and had water for dinner, clean up, drinking, and refilling Nalgenes in the morning for 3. The pump or tabs were fine for water on trail, but this is a camp necessity from now on. It is well worth the few ounces it weighs.

I definitely recommend this to all trail weary backpackers at the end of a glorious day. Even got to take a cold swim while water was filtering.

I purchased the MSR Gravity Filter to replace a Pur-Hiker…

Price Paid: @ $90

I purchased the MSR Gravity Filter to replace a Pur-Hiker I have had for 15yrs, and I'm glad I did. No pumping! It is very fast, convenient, back flush-able on the trail, and it is light weight and compact too.

I used it for about 6 weeks in the woods last year and just see no downside at all. It never gave me any trouble and performed wonderfully. Definitely recommended... Did I mention No Pumping! lol