MSR Carbon Core Stake Kit

Weight 0.19 oz / 5.5 g
Length 6 in / 15 cm
Material(s) Carbon fiber core with 7000 series aluminum sheath
Country of Origin Made in USA

The is not much to say about these other than that…

Source: received it as a sample, freebie, or prize (Trailspace)

Summary

The is not much to say about these other than that they are extremely light yet seem to perform the same as aluminum stakes.

Pros

• Extremely lightweight
  • Compact
  • Functional

Cons

• Cost

I probably would have never sprung for these due to the cost, but now that I have them, I really enjoy using them. Thanks, Trailspace! They have been a very nice addition to my camp gear.

I used to forgo bringing stakes since I had a freestanding tent, but since these are so light, there's really not much of an excuse to not bring them along. I have used them on a few backpacking trips now...with my non-freestanding tent, they are essential and perform just as well as aluminum stakes.

The compact design slides nicely into any crevasse in your pack, where you may just forget they are there. They work pretty easily into hard packed earth, but in the Rockies, I had to try a lot of spots to find a rock-free dirt patch. Also, I wouldn't want to take a rock hammer to one of these for fear I would break the plastic or carbon. Even though they were part of a prize, they are dear to me and I feel the need to treat them pretty gently.

Lastly, they held well once sunk but could be a bit longer in some circumstances. I'm thinking they probably won't suffice in sand.

Overall another very nice product from MSR, incorporating innovative design and materials.

Too fragile. I used these stakes twice before one…

Summary

Too fragile.

Pros

Cons

• Too fragile
  • Expensive
  • No lanyard to pull from ground

I used these stakes twice before one of them broke. Surprisingly it didn't break while driving it into the ground. I had difficulty removing the stakes from the ground, and one of them broke as I wiggled it side-to-side attempting to loosen it. The end of the stake is still in the ground in the Sierra Nevada.

Try the MSR Groundhog. I love 'em.

Jim

I'm now using Big Sky Tube Steak

MSR is proud to offer the lightest full-strength tent stake on the market – less than 6 grams per stake. The Carbon-Core™ stake uses a carbon fiber core for strength and rigidity, and an aluminum covering for durability. Sold as a kit of four stakes.

Visit MSR's Carbon Core Stake Kit page.

MSR Carbon-Core Stakes are the lightest full-strength tent stakes on the market under 6 grams.

- CampSaver.com

MSR Carbon-CoreTM tent stakes are ultra lightweight, full-strength tent stakes.

Elite fastpackers and weight weenies pay attention to every gram in their packs. MSR's Carbon Core Tent Stakes are the lightest full-strength tent stakes on the market, coming in at an amazing 5. 75 grams each.

On Sale. MSR Carbon-Core Stake Kit FEATURES of the MSR Carbon-Core Stake Kit Lightest full-strength tent stakes on the market - under 6 grams Carbon fiber core with aluminum skin is stiff, light and strong Aluminum tip delivers lasting durability SPECIFICATIONS of the MSR Carbon-Core Stake Kit Weight: 0.2 oz / 5.75 g Length: 6in. / 15 cm