MSR Elbow Room 3P

I bought this tent on sale and was hard pressed to…

I bought this tent on sale and was hard pressed to find much in the way of reviews so thought I would throw up my thoughts after the living room setup and outdoor trial in hopes it might help others.

First of all, for me getting this tent for 250$ I was hard pressed to find the quality of construction and materials for that price in another tent.  The bathtub bottom, seams, stitching, zippers, and even the included stakes all seemed to me to be a superior quality to what I could get on a 'under 300' budget.

The other huge factor that brought me to make the purchase was the headroom.  I am a tall person with a longer torso.  The thing that really makes a difference is the bow design.  I am able to sit up in the middle part of the tent... end to end.  Compared to other tents that may have a higher peak height... I can only comfortably sit in the center but have to lean over towards the sides and/or ends.

Similarly, I learned while trying a lot of different tents floor plan dimensions can be deceiving. You may be able to find a tent with a wider floor, but how usable is that space.  I sat in many tents that were wider in specs but felt smaller inside.

Setup is easy even with the sleeve design and bow ... doesn't take but 5-10 minutes.  Did it in the rain/snow storm pretty fast.  I bought 4 extra msr ground hog stakes and guy line material to full guy it out if needed.

I really liked the design around the vestibules which ensured when opening the vestibule no water would drip into the tent because the bow points over the end of the tent providing rain fly coverage for the opening.  The vestibules are ok, a touch small but will do the job.

After purchasing I set it up outside the last few days during rain/snow storm.  Slept in it during wind/rain storm.  I even saw it take snow load of about 6" of wet heavy snow.  I love how sturdy this tent pitches.  The ripstop to mesh ratio seems good to me.  We were a touch drafty in the winds but not overly so (it's not a 4 season tent).  I had zero condensation.

One thing I don't really like is when you open the vents on the top it pushes the fly fabric close to the top mesh windows .. if they were to touch it provides a great drip point.  When fully guyed out it was fine.

With all the poles and fabric the tent is going to be a little heavier than other 3p tents I looked at. I personally will take the extra weight to have the room inside and sturdiness, but everyone has their point of balance that works.

Just got back from a week canoe trip in MS and this…

Design: 2 person-3 season freestanding.
Ease of Setup: under 5 minutes for one person
Weight: 7lbs total weight

Just got back from a week canoe trip in MS and this was the first time I popped the tent up aside from at home to get familiar with it.

-East you set up-under 5 minutes

-Slept two people under 6ft very comfortable.

-Two doors are nice and the vestibule covered ALL of gear for the week trip.

-Stayed cool even in the Southern heat and humidity.

-we had a bad storm come through last night with about 30mph winds and HEAVY rain-NO LEAKS and took the wind like a champ.

The only negative I have is the tent is made in CHINA. If it were made here in the States I would have given it a 5.

MSR transformed familiar tent geometry with their new BowFrame making the MSR Elbow Room tents their most livable freestanding shelters. While slightly less spacious than the hoop-style MSR Mo Room, the Elbow Room 2 and 3 take full advantage of the weight savings. They're the best choice for those who love the space but also tend to carry their tents more often. Both feature dual entrances, vestibules, excellent ventilation and ample room to gear storage and living.

- CampSaver.com

You get more than just room to breathe with MSR's Elbow Room 3 tent. Enhance your backwoods comfort with 40 sq ft of room with Bow Frame geometry and an additional 15 sq ft of vestibule space, but don't confuse this tent for a weekend warrior's car-camper, durable, waterproof construction withstands damp weather and a weight of 7 pounds is viable for the backcountry camper.

- Mountain Gear

MSR has transformed familiar tent geometry with the new Bow Frame to make the Elbow Room series the most livable freestanding shelters available. The ElbowRoom 3 tent is a great cross-over tent for campers who enjoy backpacking and car camping. Excellent ventilation, gear storage, and storm protection make this the one tent to suit any family or group of three. Both feature dual entrances, vestibules, excellent ventilation and ample room to gear storage and living.

- Rocky Mountain Trail

The MSR Elbowroom 3-Person Tent bridges the gap between basecamp livability and backcountry performance. Spacious dimensions and a unique pole configuration maximize your living space, while lightweight, stormproof materials keep the weather out.

With room to move, the MSR Elbow Room 3 person Tent uses an aluminum Bow Frame(TM) support top that lifts and separates the tent walls providing max space. Two doors with added storage vestibule and generous mesh panels give ventilation and ease of access. Exceptional design for added space.

- Altrec Outdoors

MSR Elbow Room 3P

The Elbow Room 3P has been discontinued.

The MSR Elbow Room 3P is not available from the stores we monitor. It was last seen November 5, 2013 at CampSaver.com.