MSR Flex Skillet

A good skillet if you want to do more than “one…

Summary

A good skillet if you want to do more than “one pot cooking” in the backcountry. It is lightweight and easy to clean.

Pros

• Non-stick coating with hard anodized aluminum

Cons

• Bottom warped after first use

When I bought this skillet, I was looking specifically for one that was lightweight and didn’t take up a great deal of space in my pack. I also wanted to something that would provide more versatility in cooking options on shorter trips. The skillet had to be big enough to be useful and easy to clean.  I decided on the MSR Flex Skillet.

skillet.jpg

The skillet is made of a coated hard anodized aluminum, a personal favorite as I use the same type of cookware at home. It is also reasonably lightweight at 7 ounces.

I also like the fact that the handle folds in, reducing packed size.

folded_handle.jpg

If needed, the handle can also be removed and used with other similar MSR cookware.

handle_removal.jpg

disassembled.jpg

The skillet is nine inches in diameter which is good sized for smaller items and adequate for 1 to 2 people.  It has a non-stick coating, not specified by the manufacturing that works well and cleans up easily. I also deglaze the pan, when needed and don’t use a Scotch-brite pad when cleaning to maintain the surface.

So far, the only problem found with the skillet is some warping on the bottom.  Really, not a problem considering it is a skillet for camp cooking.