NEW!

MSR Strike Igniter

Weight 39 g / 1.4 oz

The MSR Strike Igniter is a reliable fire starter…

Source: received for testing via the Trailspace Review Corps (Sample provided by MSR for testing and review)

Summary

The MSR Strike Igniter is a reliable fire starter that is not affected by wet conditions or high altitudes. Although it requires two hands to operate and weighs an ounce more than a Bic lighter, there are enough strikes in this unit to light a thru-hiker's stove and campfire as he/she conquers all three of the U.S. long trails. With this in your pack, you'll never fear of lighter failure.

Pros

• Reliable
  • Usable after being completely soaked
  • Not affected by elevation
  • 3,000-12,000 strikes

Cons

• Two-handed operation
  • Heavier than other options
  • Poorly designed bottle opener
  • Priced higher than competing brands

When Trailspace assigned me the MSR Strike Igniter for Review Corps testing, they requested that I use it multiple time in a variety of settings, including cold and wet weather. In the month that I've had it, there has been nothing but cold, wet weather to test it in! I have used this in the flatlands of Illinois a few times, and I played around with it at 9,600' while snowshoeing in the Rocky Mountains (though I did not attempt an actual fire). In each and every attempt, the unit has functioned as it was designed to.

Trailspace also asked that I shoot at least one video, “demonstrating the use and performance of this product.” Following is footage of the MSR Strike being used to light an alcohol stove (my preferred form of cooking), a canister stove, and a campfire. I also demonstrate the performance of the bottle opener, with some amusing results.

PLEASE NOTE: In the following video Trailspace reviewer Bill S. cautioned that my catfood can stove may have been too close to my Pocket Rocket when I turned it on. I felt I had moved the lit stove far enough away, but I see his point and will be mindful of it in the future.

As you will note, the bottle opener did not perform to acceptable standards. The “tooth” that fits under the cap is too shallow to grab the cap. Also, the "tooth" on my unit is different from the one currently pictured in the product description. However, I don't see the bottle opener being a big selling point for this unit. The main thing is that it produces a spark (of about 5500°F) when you need it, whatever the conditions.

The cons I mentioned—two-handed and heavier—are offset by the reliability of this item. I rarely go out on a multi-day trip without replacing my mini-Bic. I don't want to run out of fuel in the lighter. Even if the Strike only produces the minimum 3,000 strikes, I could still use it four times a day for a full two years. Plus it will strike when it has been soaked in a stream. Try that with a lighter!

Yeah, it's a full ounce heavier than a mini-Bic (1.25oz. on my scale), but on a long hike, that ounce “strikes” me as worth it (Sorry for the bad pun.).

Summary: I raise my [empty] glass to the MSR Strike and heartily recommend it for non-beverage use.

denis daly

Nice review..But I can open a bottle witha Bic lighter..

Eric Labanauskas BRAND REP

Still lighter than the current gold standard, LMF's FireSteel, which - if I hadn't just purchased one myself awhile back - would probably have considered this as a lightweight alternative! Also...since when is a bottle opener considered a necessary survival item? Priorities, MSR. Priorities.

Denis, I'd like to see that trick!

Ashleigh MODERATOR

Well done, Goose!

Thanks, Ashleigh.

This ultralight, weatherproof striker is the perfect solution for lighting canister and white gas stoves.

• More reliable than a lighter – moisture and pressure don’t affect performance.
  • Produces 5,500°F sparks that light stoves quickly.
  • Lasts for 3,000 to 12,000 strikes – far more than average lighters.
  • Like many MSR Stove accessories, it has a built-in bottle opener.

Visit MSR's Strike Igniter page.

The MSR Strike Igniter is an ultralight, weather resistant, striker. A perfect solution for lighting canister and liquid fuel stoves, you'll want it with you o every camping trip.

- CampSaver.com

Flick the Strike Igniter from MSR and sparks will be flying before you know it. This lightweight, weather-resistant igniter can light canister or liquid fuel stoves in no time. Small enough to fit on a key chain, yet serious enough to produce 5500 F sparks, this little fellow will join you for any camping trip where matches are either too dangerous or not viable. Its lifespan extends well over 3,000 sparks so you'll be cooking with the Strike Igniter for years to come. Oh, and did we mention the bottle-opener' Priorities, priorities.

MSR Strike Igniter FEATURES of the MSR Strike Igniter Ultralight and weatherproof More reliable than a lighter - moisture and pressure don't affect performance Produces 5,500F sparks that light stoves quickly Lasts for 3,000 to 12,000 strikes - far more than average lighters Built-in bottle opener SPECIFICATIONS of the MSR Strike Igniter Weight: 39 g / 1.4 oz