MSR SweetWater Purifier System

My SweetWater died almost immediately. Pump was used…

My SweetWater died almost immediately.

Pump was used in -2 Celsius the pressure relief popped constantly with almost no pressure while pumping melted snow.

After 2 days of use for 4 people the body started to crack at the threads and leak with every pump.

Ok, I have used this pump on prolly around 15 full…

Ok, I have used this pump on prolly around 15 full week long trips. The action of pumping is great you could no ask for anything better, and it pumps at a fast rate.

Personally I have never had a real problem with it. However I have been told (from reliable sources) that when this filter is used in water with a high amounts of silts and clays it tends to clog the filter up.

There is a couple of easy solutions. If you wrap the intake peace that sucks the water up in a coffee filter it will help to stain the particles out. Also, if you put the cartridge into boiling watter and boil it, it will help unclog the filter.

I really think this is a great filter for most people. It's a great price and works well.

Let me start by saying that this is the easiest filter…

Price Paid: Gift

Let me start by saying that this is the easiest filter to pump. The lever action pump is great. And it filters water on the up and down stroke but.....

I have had this for several years. The first few trips the filter worked fine. After that the filter started to require numerous cleanings while on the trail.

I followed the manufacturer's suggestions on cleaning the cartridge with a water and bleach solution. This helped for a few liters then it was back to cleaning on every water stop.

My brother brought along the same model on our last trip and his began needing the same frequent cleaning as my old one.

I might need a new cartridge but I'm afraid this isn't the problem and then I'll be stuck with a bad filter and out the cost of a new cartridge.

I will be buying a new filter before my next trip, just haven't figured out which one.

Great little pump. I've had mine must be almost 10…

Summary

Great little pump.

Pros

• It just seems to last

Cons

• It has a few

I've had mine must be almost 10 years or pretty close. Bought the system when they first came out, used in all four seasons, used it to get water from a streams, lakes, through the ice. Works really well.

Replacement filter is a little pricey, and it doesn't pump the volume of the newer ones ,or as fast. But I just don't have the heart to replace it. It works so well and the Sweetwater purifier solution that comes with it makes the water taste like the water that comes out of your faucets... if that's what you want, and it even comes with a cleaning brush.

KiwiKlimber

Hi Cal. Welcome abroad. Can you explain the cons a bit more for SweetWater? You gave it 5 stars but say it has a few flaws. Is the 5-stars more because it's sentimental to you or is it really an top-notch excellent product? Just looking for a clarification. Thanks.